title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Will Perfect Tunes help me re-tag my classical music collection by composer?

Will Perfect Tunes help me re-tag my classical music collection by composer?

We have a large classical music collection ripped using dBPoweramp. At first I used Default profile/naming scheme (artist/album, etc.). Later, I began modifying and trying to create a perfect profile for classical rips (I can hear you laughing already). What I wanted was an almost universal profile with composer (last name first)/work/conductor/orchestra/soloist/track-title. Naturally, the perfect profile would also account for multiple composers (putting each composer's work into that composer's folder), and also account for multiple disc sets (by listing them as Disc 1,Disc 2, etc.) For recital discs by famous artists playing a variety of works I'm happy to use the Default profile/naming scheme.

Experimenting to find the right combination of naming has resulted in a messy collection where some are OK and many are not. Some composers are currently listed by first name, last name. Some are listed by conductor (under Album artist) instead of by composer. Multiple composer discs are listed by first composer only, etc. You get the idea, I'm sure.

So, will Perfect Tunes allow me to correct all these variances in a relatively easy fashion? And, by that, I mean MUCH easier than trying to decipher the dBPoweramp CD Ripper naming elements and all their confusing forward slash/backslash/bracket-bracket things.

Administrator

Re: Will Perfect Tunes help me re-tag my classical music collection by composer?

PerfectTUNES does not rename the files or location of the files, and reading your message I think this is what you want. This is separate from ID Tags which are inside of the file.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Will Perfect Tunes help me re-tag my classical music collection by composer?

If you are trying to reorganize the file locations based on tag info, you can use batch converter and convert to the utility DSP "arrange audio" (you may need to install this from codec central). If this is not what you are asking, provide an example or two of the current situation and what you'd like to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    PerfectTUNES does not rename the files or location of the files, and reading your message I think this is what you want. This is separate from ID Tags which are inside of the file.
    OK, I understand. Thanks. What about future rips? Can you suggest a naming scheme that covers all or most of the Classical naming details mentioned in my original post above?

dBpoweramp Guru

[composersort]/[work]/[conductor]/[orchestra]/[soloist]/[track]-[title]

this would do what you originally asked, assuming all those tags are created as well. But I suspect this will not necessarily work out (too many folders breaking up things). Play with it and see.

Also, perhaps you know this well, but much of what you seem to want to do is based on library management and player management based on metadata tags rather than file names.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    [composersort]/[work]/[conductor]/[orchestra]/[soloist]/[track]-[title]

this would do what you originally asked, assuming all those tags are created as well. But I suspect this will not necessarily work out (too many folders breaking up things). Play with it and see.

Also, perhaps you know this well, but much of what you seem to want to do is based on library management and player management based on metadata tags rather than file names.
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, while it gets most of it right, it doesn't create a Composer subfolder.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, while it gets most of it right, it doesn't create a Composer subfolder.
    Do you have COMPOSERSORT tag in files? Try it with just [composer] instead of [composersort] and see what it does.