title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dBpoweramp Music Converter for Mac, version R16.6 beta

Super Moderator

dBpoweramp Music Converter for Mac, version R16.6 beta

R16.6 beta continues where R16.5 beta was abandoned - R16.5 stable was made from a different code branch adding bug fixes on top of R16.4 codebase.
    Current version: R16.6 beta 9

Notable differences from R16.5 stable:
    • Supports Mac OS Mojave Dark Mode
    • Lowest supported Mac OS version is 10.10 "Yosemite". OSX Mavericks no longer supported.

Changes since R16.5 beta 3:
    • FDK AAC encoder version 2.0
    • Opus encoder version 1.3
    • Fixed a HTTP client bug causing some album art lookups to fail.
    • Added prompt before deleting a Converter profile.

Changes in beta 2:
    • Changed M4A "grouping" tag mapping; the old version caused iTunes to be unable to edit tags on files that dBpoweramp created.
    • MP3 "comments" tag no longer becomes "comment s"

Changes in beta 3:
    • Fixed missing logs when ripping multi disc albums with multi encoder; only log from the first disc would get written and logs from other discs would not get appended.
    • Fixed UI glitches with the CD Ripper metadata cache size setting; the setting would not get saved if the dialog was dismissed with the editbox focused.

Changes in beta 4:
    • Amended window position remembering logic to behave better on multi-monitor setups

Changes in beta 5:
    • Added beta update checks: when running a beta version, the launcher will tell you if there is a newer beta available; clicking the link will take you directly to the downloads ( = this forum thread ).

Changes in beta 6:
    • Added CD-Text reading.

Changes in beta 7:
    • Fixed a regression causing COMMENT tag to be written to ID3v2 TXXX rather than COMM.

Changes in beta 8:
    • Opus encoder version 1.3.1.
    • Updated code signing, should now run correctly on Mac OS Catalina.

Changes in beta 9:
    • Fixed CR Ripper meta table not working correctly on Mac OS Mojave.
    Last edited by Spoon; 08-29-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Beta 9

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter for Mac, version R16.6 beta

I have discovered an interesting problem. Files I download from the Qobuz music store in FLAC and subsequently I use dBpoweramp to convert them to Apple Lossless you can't edit the metadata in iTunes after conversion. You receive no errors but the files don't get changed and some messages are written out to console. If I download ALAC from Qobuz they are editable in iTunes. If I use a different converter like XLD to do the conversion from FLAC->ALAC they are editable in iTunes. I don't have this problem with FLAC files from other sources just from Qobuz. It took me a while to figure out the pattern to reproduce this but now I have it.

Happy to share a few Qobuz file with you to do a conversion. I have tested with 16.5 and 16.6 B1 with same result.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the bug report and sorry about late reply.

I'm investigating the issue. Can you please email a sample FLAC file to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis? Thanks.

Update: Managed to obtain samples of FLAC files from Qobuz, converted to Apple Lossless and iTunes seems to have no trouble editing the tags. So it must be somehow album-specific.

Also, which exact iTunes version are you using?
    Last edited by PeterP; 03-06-2019 at 08:20 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I emailed a sample FLAC and the resulting converted ALAC that iTunes won't edit. All the albums I own display this behavior from Qobuz.

Using iTunes 12.9.2.5 on macOS 10.14.3

Thanks

Super Moderator

Thanks for the sample.

Problem addressed in beta 2.

If anyone else is experiencing this and doesn't want to try beta versions - it goes away if you delete "grouping" tags. Note that Windows versions of dBpoweramp & iTunes appear to be equally affected.

libopus 1.3.1 out!

https://opus-codec.org/release/stabl...pus-1_3_1.html
    This Opus 1.3.1 minor release fixes an issue with the analysis on files with digital silence (all zeros), especially on x87 builds (mostly affects 32-bit builds). It also includes two new features:

A new OPUS_GET_IN_DTX query to know if the encoder is in DTX mode (last frame was either a comfort noise frame or not encoded at all)
    A new (and still experimental) CMake-based build system that is eventually meant to replace the VS2015 build system (the autotools one will stay).

Super Moderator

Note major change in beta 5: you no longer have to check the forum for new betas from now on.

When running a beta version, the launcher window will tell you when a newer beta is available, rather than pointing you to a stable version.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you! Great addition, saves me checking the forum every day for updates.

Still libopus 1.3!
    I want update libopus 1.31.

MacOs Catalina 10.15beta
    when starting dBpoweramp message states
    "dBpoweramp Music converter.app can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information"

Super Moderator

Mac OS Catalina issues are being investigated.

In older versions of Mac OS, right-clicking/two-finger-tapping an application icon to bring the context menu then choosing "Open" would let you suppress app signature checks and let you run apps which are not signed at all. Perhaps it still works, for launching apps which are not certified by Apple.

Super Moderator

Beta 8 posted, should be now allowed to run on Mac OS Catalina.

Thankyou - now opens as it should. Richard

Administrator

Now Released