title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: METADATA and Mp3tag

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

METADATA and Mp3tag

For many years I have carefully edited the metadata of hundreds of albums. Yes =, this is detailed and a bit unnerving, but it does work and well at that.

So now comes Mp3tag. I sure could use some assistance with this software.

1. What is the advantage of Mp3tag other than to show all the metadata of a single folder in one view?

Has anyone seen usable, simple, direct step-by-step instructions for how to use Mp3tag?

Is it just me or have you noticed that some of the newer scanning software does not always accept the traditional characters. For example, some scanning software will not always accept semi-colons, but it will accept commas.

Finally, what is a double backslash in Mp3tag and when and why does this appear.

Thank you for the education,

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: METADATA and Mp3tag

Perhaps you would do better to direct this question to the mp3tag support page, https://community.mp3tag.de/ While many of us here use mp3tg as well as the dBpoweramp products, this forum is intended for questions regarding dBpoweramp and other Illustrate products. Mp3tag is not part of the Illustrate product line. I think you will find many questions regarding the use of mp3tag answered on their support pages.

Regarding the double backslash in particular, that question has been discussed in several previous posts on this forum and I'm sure it has been explained on mp3tag's support pages also. A very brief description, explaining why you see that on mp3tag's app and not on dBpoweramp: A number of tags in some tagging standards allow multiple entries for the same tag. For instance you could desire to have multiple genres for one song, let us say Rock, Oldies and 1960's Rock for the same song, so if you searched for any of those genres, the song would show up in the search list. Different tagging standards (typically used for different filetypes, like FLAC or mp3 or m4a) have different ways of storing those different multiple entries. Rather than make you learn the intricacies of each tagging system, both dBpoweramp and mp3tag do the work for you. They each have a delimiter which the software recognizes as indicating a multiple entry tag entry and arrange the data in that entry correctly for the particular tagging standard used by the filetype you are editing/entering the metadata for. dBpoweramp uses a semicolon as its delimiter for multiple entries, mp3tag uses the double backslash. The semicolon when used in dBpoweramp multiple entry tags does the same thing as the double backslash when used in mp3tag.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Dear Schmidj,

Please know that I do fully appreciate your comments a nd I do own and use nearly all of the dBpoweramp products and have for many years. Second, I learned about Mo3tag on this forum from one who most often responds to people's issues. I still use dBpoweramp products with pride and satisfaction.

Sincerely,

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I can say that I have used both the dbPoweramp suite of products alongside mp3tag for a very long time. All of my CD ripping, format conversion, and even Replaygain has been done in dbPoweramp. But mp3tag comes in handy when making changes to the library that already exists. Songs purchased online from Apple, HDtracks, Pro Studio Masters, etc. often do not have complete tags, or match how I keep certain Artists tagged in my case.

But as @Schmidj has already suggested, it would be more appropriate to post any questions about mp3tag on their forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

I agree with what others have posted. I too use dbpoweramp, PerfectTunes, and TuneFusion for much of my music file work. But I too find mp3tag a very valuable tagging program. You will find that the support offered by users at the mp3tag forum is excellent, just like I find on this dbpa forum. mp3tag can do very sophisticated things regarding tagging but also can be simple to use. See here for documentation
    https://www.mp3tag.de/en/support.html

And as noted earlier any followup questions will be best posted at the mp3tag support forum:
    https://community.mp3tag.de/

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swaman View Post
    1. What is the advantage of Mp3tag other than to show all the metadata of a single folder in one view?
    IMO, the Illustrate suite and MP3Tag are the best applications around in what they do and for myself, the major advantage of MP3Tag over any other tagging software, is it supports regular expressions, something I now, cannot do without.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I totally agree with that which has been said. All of my music is maintained in SLAC format. I have applied dBpoweramp software to edit my more than 146,000 tracks. Only recently have I become aware of Mp3tag from reading this forum. My interest is simply to learn what advantages Mp3tag may offer to me and when to use this. I am very pleased with illustrate products and the results it has afforded my music collection.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swaman View Post
    I totally agree with that which has been said. All of my music is maintained in SLAC format. I have applied dBpoweramp software to edit my more than 146,000 tracks. Only recently have I become aware of Mp3tag from reading this forum. My interest is simply to learn what advantages Mp3tag may offer to me and when to use this. I am very pleased with illustrate products and the results it has afforded my music collection.
    Do you have a post-rip tagging issue you need to solve? If so, mp3tag might be useful. But I don't think you've described the problem you're trying to solve. If you're asking a more generic question as to why would I ever need mp3tag when I have the illustrate programs, the answer is something along the lines of "mp3tag can address and/or automate *some* tagging issues in ways that illustrate products do not."