title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problem Converting 24 bit WMA to FLAC

Problem Converting 24 bit WMA to FLAC

Hi, I just downloaded the latest Music Converter. But when I converted the WMA files the resulting FLAC files are unplayable. I know my equipment can handle this resolution, so I appear to be stuck. I have attached a sample of the conversion.
    Any ideas about this anyone.....?

The Audio properties of teh FLAC file are:
    Artist Buddy Guy
    Title Milking Muther For Ya
    Album The Blues Is Alive And Well
    Track 15/15
    Disc 1/1
    Genre Blues Country Folk
    Year 2018
    Rating
    Composer
    Size 3.38 MB (90% Compressed)
    Original Size 31.33 MB
    Length 57 seconds
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate 96 KHz;
    Sample Size 24 bit
    Bit Rate 4,608 kbps (DVD)
    Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.3.2 20170101
    Encoder Settings
    Audio Quality Perfect (Lossless)
    Contains Album Art, CRC, ID Tag [Vorbis Comments]
    Channel Mapping
    File 01-15-Buddy_Guy-Milking_Muther_For_Ya-SMR
    Type VLC media file (.flac) [.flac]
    Last edited by gbcambridge; 12-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Problem Converting 24 bit WMA to FLAC

Does file name actually end with [.flac] rather than .flac?
    if so that is the problem. Likely something odd in your naming string. Can you post the naming string here.c

Administrator

Try foobar2000, can that play the flac file?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Does file name actually end with [.flac] rather than .flac?
    if so that is the problem. Likely something odd in your naming string. Can you post the naming string here.c
    Hi, the full name of the smallest of the .wma files is 01-15-Buddy_Guy-Milking_Muther_For_Ya-SMR.flac after conversion.

This conversion is, so far, unable to be played on any system here..including Windows 10, which was perfectly happy to play the original .wma file!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Try foobar2000, can that play the flac file?
    Hi,
    I just downloaded the latest version of foobar. The result is exactly he same, just a low-frequency motorboating sound...no music whatsoever. As a test, the original.wma files all play fine on my Windows 10 environment...but I have to have .flac for my system.

Administrator

Try converting the WMA file to wave, is the wave file playable?

Hi,

No, the WAV file plays exactly the same as the flac file....the motorboating sound

I have just realised that I don't have the Control Centre on my PC although I do have R16.5...so I may find some relevant settings in their. Any suggestions before I do the reload?
    Last edited by gbcambridge; 12-15-2018 at 06:11 AM.

Hi,
    reloaded ...now have Control Centre on my screen. Did another conversion...again, just motorboating! Help!

dBpoweramp Guru

As a test, try to convert the file to FLAC with foobar2000. Not likely to work either, but removes dbpa from the equation if foobar2000 can't convert either.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    As a test, try to convert the file to FLAC with foobar2000. Not likely to work either, but removes dbpa from the equation if foobar2000 can't convert either.
    Hi, I have tried FooBar 2000. It also failed. I have found one converter (offline) which successfully converted. I reported this in an earlier message but for some reason these have not yet been published here!
    So far I have proved the WMA files OK (they play on WIndows 10 and there is a successful convertor available). The files produced by Music Converter from my wma files are not playable on any device which I have tried..and this includes attempts at producing flac as well as wav. Looks like a specific problem with wma in Music Converter to me.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gbcambridge View Post
    Hi, I have tried FooBar 2000. It also failed. I have found one converter (offline) which successfully converted. I reported this in an earlier message but for some reason these have not yet been published here!
    So far I have proved the WMA files OK (they play on WIndows 10 and there is a successful convertor available). The files produced by Music Converter from my wma files are not playable on any device which I have tried..and this includes attempts at producing flac as well as wav. Looks like a specific problem with wma in Music Converter to me.
    but foobar2000 didn't convert either. so can't be just dbpa converter. Can you post one of these WMA files on dropbox or something and link it here so that others can try converting on their own systems (as a test, to make sure it is not just your dbpa setup).

I just tried to upload one of the wma files and it was rejected as "invalid file"...curiouser and curiouser...especially as I have now successfully converted them to flac and played them all, without problems. MHAudioconverter was the successful converter and it relies on donations.....which I shall be making.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gbcambridge View Post
    I just tried to upload one of the wma files and it was rejected as "invalid file"...curiouser and curiouser...especially as I have now successfully converted them to flac and played them all, without problems. MHAudioconverter was the successful converter and it relies on donations.....which I shall be making.
    odd. but I guess your issue is solved. Where did you try to upload the file? Dropbox? I can upload corrupted files to my dropbox with no issues. (of course they remain corrupted).