title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How To Automatically Increment The Track Number Tag

Question How To Automatically Increment The Track Number Tag

Hello,

I often need to fill in the "Track" number on a file tag. i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc. The only way I know how to do this is by manually typing in the track number file by file. Is there a way I can use the tag update to automatically number the tracks? I would simply like to order them in the order that they are in windows explorer. I want the first file to be track 1, the second file to be track 2, etc. If there are a bunch of files in a directory, I just want to automatically number the tracks 1, 2, 3, etc. The only way I have been able to figure it out is by typing each one manually.

Can this be done?

As a side question, when editing the metadata for multiple files, you have to click the < and > symbols with the mouse to switch between files. I have not been able to find a keystroke that will let me move to the next file. The only way I can find to get to the next track is to use the mouse and click the < > symbols to move through the files. This requires a lot of back and forth between using the keyboard, click > with the mouse, use the keyboard, click on > with the mouse, etc. Is there a keystroke I can use to move foreword and back to navigate the meta data within the loaded files?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: How To Automatically Increment The Track Number Tag

There is no easy way to do what you want, however the tag editor in PerfectTUNES puts the whole directory listing on one page so should be quicker.

Hi Spoon, Thanks for the suggestion. I have perfect tunes but I do not use it as much so I did not realize you could edit it that way. That is easier than the way I have been doing it for a long time.

Is there an easy way to directly get to a directory using perfect tunes? It would be nice if you could right-click on a directory and bring it up in perfect tunes, similar to how you can bring up a directory in batch convert. Alternatively, an edit box in perfect tunes where you could type in a path to go to directly, similar to what you can do in windows explorer. If I am not mistaken, the only way you can browse is by navigating through the tree. My preference would be to right click on a directory and then select perfect tunes to immediately bring up the contents of the selected directory in perfect tunes without having to navigate to it.

As for my second question, I guess there isn't a way to change use the keyboard to switch the current file when using the Edit ID-Tag for Multiple files?

Thanks.

Administrator

We will add the jump to folder option for a later release.

There are no keyboard shortcuts for Edit ID Tag in dBpoweramp, I will add to the todo list.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by thegorn View Post
    I often need to fill in the "Track" number on a file tag. i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc. The only way I know how to do this is by manually typing in the track number file by file. Is there a way I can use the tag update to automatically number the tracks? I would simply like to order them in the order that they are in windows explorer. I want the first file to be track 1, the second file to be track 2, etc. If there are a bunch of files in a directory, I just want to automatically number the tracks 1, 2, 3, etc. The only way I have been able to figure it out is by typing each one manually.

Can this be done?
    MP3Tag has an auto-numbering wizard for track numbers.

Hi Spoon,
    That is great. Also, it would be nice if you could refresh the tree without closing and reopening the application with F5 and/or some kind of refresh selection. If I rename or move a directory while I am working on the files, then I have to restart the application and navigate back to where I was.

Also, when using the album edit mode, It would be nice if Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V was supported.

I find it very easy to inadvertently change album data simply by navigating through the album information with the keyboard. As you move through the fields using the arrow keys suddenly a selection list drops down and you have changed the data for your selection. If you don't have the presence of mind to immediately hit Esc, the field is changed to whatever you happen to select. I don't know if anything can be done about that. I have been caught by this issue a few times already today.
    Thank you.

mMville - Thanks for the info on MP3Tag.