title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLAC Files Missing tags/Metadata

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

FLAC Files Missing tags/Metadata

My music collection possesses several albums whose FLAC files play, but which open blank, i.e. with no tags/metadata. Is there =anyway to restore the tags/metadata without possessing the original music sources?

Thank you,

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: FLAC Files Missing tags/Metadata

do the file names contain any useful info (directory/file name contains artist, album, track number, track title)?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

No Gary for the most part. Also, the computer, Windows 10 64-Bit, will not let me add album art, etc.

Thanks,

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Guru

Too bad. Then you could have used tag from file name dsp to add tags. Odd about not adding art. I wonder if the files are marked read only. I have win10 (64) and do not have this issue.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Garym,

\How, exactly, can I find out if some of my approximately 320,000 items are marked "reads only"/

What is indicated by what has the shape of a FLAC file, but is blank in the center?

Thank you for your help.

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Swaman View Post
    Garym,

\How, exactly, can I find out if some of my approximately 320,000 items are marked "reads only"/

What is indicated by what has the shape of a FLAC file, but is blank in the center?

Thank you for your help.

Tom Swaman
    You can simply select all the files, right click, choose properties from the menu, then untick the read only option. This will remove that lock from any files that have this and wont bother ones that dont.

Not it sure what you mean by second question.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

What version of the FLAC codec is installed and at what compression level? If it's set to level 5, try resetting it to level 3. I know this sounds crazy, but if this problem occurred recently, it "could be" the result of a recent dBpoeramp upgrade that includes a faulty version of the FLAC codect--the latter being incompatible with at least some AMD processors.

Administrator

This issue was fixed in the last update.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Garym,

No, my folders do not contain files marked "read only". I did check exactly as you instructed.....thgank you.

What I tried to describe is a FLAC file icon that has the same outline and nothing else, just the icon shapee without the disc portion in the center. Does this help you?

Again thanks,

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

d2b,

Kindly tell me how to check the version of FLAC Codec I have installed and I shall do this.

Yes, I am using compression level 5 and I nearly always do this with great results.

Many thanks for the assistance.

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Here is one example of my difficulties: I have a ripped album folder containing 15 FLAC files and one jpeg. files no. 11, 12, 13 and 15 are blank, i.e. contain no tags while the other 11 files contain essentially all of the tags.

Can anyone suggest what has occurred and how I can easily retrieve and load the missing tags. I no longer possess the original CD so I cannot simply re-rip this.

Thank you in advance,

Tom Swaman

dBpoweramp Guru

Here is one example of my difficulties: I have a ripped album folder containing 15 FLAC files and one jpeg. files no. 11, 12, 13 and 15 are blank, i.e. contain no tags while the other 11 files contain essentially all of the tags.

Can anyone suggest what has occurred and how I can easily retrieve and load the missing tags. I no longer possess the original CD so I cannot simply re-rip this.

Thank you in advance,

Tom Swaman
    You will have to manually enter tags. Do you have backup files. Are they the same. Do these files play.

dBpoweramp Guru

Garym,

No, my folders do not contain files marked "read only". I did check exactly as you instructed.....thgank you.

What I tried to describe is a FLAC file icon that has the same outline and nothing else, just the icon shapee without the disc portion in the center. Does this help you?

Again thanks,

Tom Swaman
    Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing with these icons. Icons can be a function of what program is default player on your computer for flac files.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you in advance,

Tom Swaman
    Just to add another possibility in this case. Some albums have "deluxe" or extended versions, so it could be CD Ripper retrieved metadata for a "normal" CD (10 tracks) but not the others. Did you check the metadata before doing the rip? Always worthwhile doing.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by timster67 View Post
    Just to add another possibility in this case. Some albums have "deluxe" or extended versions, so it could be CD Ripper retrieved metadata for a "normal" CD (10 tracks) but not the others. Did you check the metadata before doing the rip? Always worthwhile doing.
    I would add that checking the metadata before ripping, is essential.