title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: PerfectMeta far from perfect, or so it seems

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

PerfectMeta far from perfect, or so it seems

I'm running dBpoweramp Reference v.16.5 on a 64-bit Windows 10 Pro workstation. Metadata is not retrieved consistently, especially seeming to ignore CD-Text, CD-ISRC and presumably CD-UPC.

Lately I have seen metadata appear momentarily and then disappear. It looks like the typical metadata one might find in CD=Text, e.g. track names, artist name, album name, discnumber/disctotal, etc. Sometimes album artist and genre appear. I don't know if it's consistently like this, but when I end up with no metadata, I look at the PerfectMeta results and there's nothing there either. Forcing a look at CD-Text ofteh restores some or all of the 'normal' metadata found there.

Wondering why ISRC codes seldom appeared, I decided to 'force' CD-Rippper to look again, choosing Menu > Retrieve Metadata From > CD-ISRC and lo and behold, the codes were retrieved...but I had to manually 'ask' for them.

It all boils down to this: dBpoweramp is not consistently retrieving all of the available metadata, sometimes part of ti, sometimes none of it and sometimes some of it for a very short time (several seconds) and then discarding it.

Wwhat's wrong and what can you or I do to optimize the gathering of metadata? I see nothing that points to the CD drive or the anti-virus/anti-malware apps.

Dennis...aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Re: PerfectMeta far from perfect, or so it seems

This issue appears to be a continuation of a problem that I reported on this forum on 8-30-2018. Metadata sometimes appears temporarily and then disappears. This is not always the case, but it happens in about 1 CD in 15 that I want to rip. Sometimes reinserting a successfully ripped CD does this, but after deliberately querying the dBpoweramp cache, it decides to "remember" the metadata and even recalls that it was previously ripped securely. Bizarre, IMHO.

Dennis...aka "d2b"

Administrator

Re: PerfectMeta far from perfect, or so it seems

We will test for this for the next update