title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Perfect Tunes Question

Perfect Tunes Question

I am new to this forum, and that will be confirmed by my question. I ripped 400 or so CD's to a NAS using Media Monkey. About 1/3 of the rips come up as "Unknown Album". Now many of the Unknowns are major releases and artists (The Beatles, Neil Young, and various classical pieces, so I can't that there is no metadata embedded in the CD's). If I purchases Perfect Tunes, can I use it to retrieve the album information I am missing, or am I left to manually adding information? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Perfect Tunes Question

I can't answer the question about PerfectTunes. But just a note of clarification. Almost no CDs have metadata embedded in the CDs. Rippers like media monkey, dbpoweramp, itunes, etc. use databases containing metadata information. The software uses what it knows about the CD (number of tracks, track lengths, etc.) to do what turns out to be very good guesses at what CD you are ripping and then includes the metadata for that album obtained from these databases in the Cloud.

If PerfectTunes can't access metadata, one question for you is whether your actual music folders and file names contain any info (artist, title, album, etc.). If so, there is a way to do a batch process that will take that information and fill in things like artist, album, track number, and track title information.

p.s. I like your username.

Thank you. I think I'll go ahead and purchase Perfect Tunes and see how it goes. It's sad when I know what is playing, but the computer is stumped.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by I=E/Rit'sthelaw View Post
    Thank you. I think I'll go ahead and purchase Perfect Tunes and see how it goes. It's sad when I know what is playing, but the computer is stumped.
    You might wait for Spoon to chime in. I *think* (but not sure) that it will NOT do what you want. (I have and use PerfectTunes for various things, but not for adding tags post-rip). You didn't answer the question about your file and folder names. depending on the answer I have suggestions.
    Last edited by garym; 11-29-2018 at 02:35 PM.

I will wait. I am now using Foobar 2000 for library control. I have the music organized by Artist, Album, Track. As I said, about 2/3 of the collection tagged with proper information, but that last 1/3 is a mystery to me. Who knows, maybe the Beatles and Neil Young prefer to labor in anonymity. If there is a program that can retrieve information post rip, I would certainly be interested in that.

dBpoweramp Guru

I will wait. I am now using Foobar 2000 for library control. I have the music organized by Artist, Album, Track. As I said, about 2/3 of the collection tagged with proper information, but that last 1/3 is a mystery to me. Who knows, maybe the Beatles and Neil Young prefer to labor in anonymity. If there is a program that can retrieve information post rip, I would certainly be interested in that.
    Do these unknown files have names (file and folder names, NOT metadata info). For example. Abbey Road is in a folder for the Beatles, another subfolder for Abbey Road album, and then individual file names with track numbers and track titles? Like this....

The Beatles/Abbey Road/01 - cometogether.mp3 (or flac, etc.).

The unknown are just that. There is no identifying data at all. Album and artist are unknown. Same for the tracks, they are just numbered. The files are flac and wave. I seem to remember, now that I think about it, that Wave files may not tag with identifying information. If that is the case, I guess I may be out of luck, and will have to provide the information manually.

dBpoweramp Guru

The unknown are just that. There is no identifying data at all. Album and artist are unknown. Same for the tracks, they are just numbered. The files are flac and wave. I seem to remember, now that I think about it, that Wave files may not tag with identifying information. If that is the case, I guess I may be out of luck, and will have to provide the information manually.
    ok. So you are saying these are WAV files and they are just in one big folder on your harddrive (no album or artist folders) and the filenames are something like "track 1.wav", "track 2.wav". If thats the case, I have no suggestions for how to fix.

AND TO BE CLEAR, I'm not talking about tag information at all. I'm talking about Windows or Mac *folder* names and *file names*.
    Last edited by garym; 11-29-2018 at 05:34 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

You could try identifying them with Music Brainz Picard, which has a "fingerprint" id capability. I played with it a while ago and it was quite impressive for anything in its library.

There are also other apps on the web that claim to be able to name music by listening to a sample. How do you think the record labels detect their music in the background in someone's cute cat (or child) YouTube video to send the takedown notice...