title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems with the accessibility for screen readers when you should setup dBpoweramp

Problems with the accessibility for screen readers when you should setup dBpoweramp

Hi everyone

I am blind, and I has installed the dBpoweramp program on my computer.

My problem now is that the user interface for the dBpoweramp control panel, where I e.g. can select what options I see in the Windows context menu have some problem related to the programme for correct accessibility (support for screen readers).

With my two screen readers, I e.g. not can select what elements that dBpoweramp should view in the Windows context menu etc. As I can see, you should change the value from 1 to 0 if you will disable an option - but how do you do that?

Normaly you could use the backSpace key if the user interface has checkboxes, the arrow keys if they have comboboxes etc., but nothing working on the dBpoweramp setup user interface!

I have tried to look in the Windows registry for a place where I could adjust the settings, but I not found settings related to the dBpoweramp generel setup. Since you not has programmed the user interface correct related to support for screen readers, I not am sure if I have selected the correct reading mode for my CD-drive (secure mode). Again I not can see if the correct option in the setup dialog is selected or not.

Therefore:
    1. Can I adjust the settings above in the Windows registry, or do you have other solutions for doing that?

2. Can I contact the developers directly via e-mail?

3. I really hope that you please can take a look on the user interface related to support for screen readers!

Please write me back if you have other questions.

Thanks in advance for your answer, and have a nice day.

Regards,
    Anders

Administrator

Re: Problems with the accessibility for screen readers when you should setup dBpowera

I do not think you can edit the registry, some of the items are binary. I think the best option would be to go through the secure ripping guide once with a helper, once it is setup then these settings never need to be changed again.

Re: Problems with the accessibility for screen readers when you should setup dBpowera

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I do not think you can edit the registry, some of the items are binary. I think the best option would be to go through the secure ripping guide once with a helper, once it is setup then these settings never need to be changed again.
    Dear Spoon

Thanks for your answer.

Firstly, I not am sure if you have understood my feedback/question above regarding accessibility in dBpoweramp correctly.

Next, just because I am blind, I often in other programs where I rip CD-disc etc., fine can adjust various settings. I not can adjust settings in the dBpoweramp control panel because you not has programmed the interface correctly. For example, you can view a picture where sighted persons can adjust settings with a mouse. If you also programmed the different elements in the interface after the Windows default code, so a checkbox is programmed as a checkbox, a radio button is programmed as a radio button etc. in the code behind the pictures, blind people also can use the dBpoweramp control panel without sighted assistance!

It is okay that you write a guide regarding how I setup the secure rip etc., but if I not can setup the secure rip, I not can use dBpoweramp as expected.

Now I have the following question I hope that you please can answer:
    1. How can sighted person setup the options I see in the Windows context menu with a mouse (should sighted person click with a mouse on a special element, for example a green element)?
    Again, when I look on the interface with screen readers, I only can see a "1" if the feature is turned on, and a "0" if the feature is turned off. I not can do everything if I will adjust the settings with screen readers!

I am not the first blind people there use dBpoweramp, so again I really hope that you please will take a look on the interface regarding support for screen readers in an upcoming release!

2. When I try to tagging files with dBpoweramp, I with screen readers not can find the button so I can insert an album cover from my computer. Sighted person has told me that they fine can find the button.

3. Do you have a method so I can be sure that dBpoweramp is setup to rip cd-discs in the "secure rip" mode, since I not can adjust the settings with screen readers?

When I look on these settings, I can find the settings, but I am not sure if the correct settings are selected or not, again because you not has programmed the user interface correctly after the default Windows guidelines.

See more about accessibility in Windows programs on the following link:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...ccessible-apps

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,
    Anders

Administrator

I understand fully your comments, and am aware that there are elements of our program which are not compatible with screen readers.

I wanted to follow up on this post. I am also blind and tried to set this up with my screen readers and am not able to change the options. Has any research been done regarding the accessibility of the options dialog? I unfortunately live alone and am not able to have sighted assistance to set up the options.

Administrator

I am sorry to say the options pages are not accessible.