title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Looking to try/buy, need help deciding

Looking to try/buy, need help deciding

I have about 700 CD's I want to rip to flac. Using Windows 10 with two internal and one external optical drive.

What do I exactly need to buy?

Looking to be able to use all three at the same time with error correction and be able to get all the metadata along with correct album art.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Looking to try/buy, need help deciding

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGF View Post
    I have about 700 CD's I want to rip to flac. Using Windows 10 with two internal and one external optical drive.

What do I exactly need to buy?

Looking to be able to use all three at the same time with error correction and be able to get all the metadata along with correct album art.

Thanks!
    dBPoweramp Reference R16 family pack. And note you can do a free trial to decide if this is for you.
    https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/store_combi.aspx?c=2
    Last edited by garym; 11-24-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    dBPoweramp Reference R16 family pack. And note you can do a free trial to decide if this is for you.
    https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/store_combi.aspx?c=2
    So PerfectTUNES is extra?

I've downloaded the trial version. So it's just doing one drive at a time, is this a limitation for the trial version?

dBpoweramp Guru

I've downloaded the trial version. So it's just doing one drive at a time, is this a limitation for the trial version?
    Not sure. Have you started 3 instances of dbpa at the same time (on your single computer), and then set each up to address one of your 3 drives?

edit: to be clear, dbpa won't automatically move from one drive to the next. You need to have 3 instances of dbpa running (right click on icon and start dbpa, which you can do multiple times). Then you'll have 3 instances running and within each one you can have a different drive selected and be ripping 3 cds at the same time.
    Last edited by garym; 11-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.

I opened the software then insert a CD in each one and it configed each one but it will work just one.

dBpoweramp Guru

I opened the software then insert a CD in each one and it configed each one but it will work just one.
    but did you open THREE different instances of the software at the same time?

Okay, sorry no. Wow, this is awesome!

So I'm getting the album, do I really need PerfectTUNES?

So since I plan on selling my boxes of CD's when I'm done I wonder if I should do no compression on the Flac or is the recommended 5 good enough?

dBpoweramp Guru

Keep in mind that FLAC is lossless. This is true whether using FLAC no compression or FLAC at "8" compression. All are bit perfect back to the CD. I use the "5" but there's probably no reason not to use "8". This compression is NOT like mp3 where data is thrown away. The more FLAC compression (representing *only* smaller file size) takes a bit longer when ripping/encoding, but is essentially irrelevant at the time of playback (that is, decoding time is essentially the same whether no compression or "8" compression).

Hard to say whether you need PerfectTunes. I have it and like it. It's a very useful tool for lots of things. It is useful for checking things out post-rip. For example, maybe when you rip a newly released CD it's not in the AccurateRip database yet. But you can check it for AR match later on with PerfectTunes. PerfectTunes is also good for finding better artwork on any older rips you have or for doing certain tag editing. bottom line is that it is a very useful utility if you care about managing your digital music collection.

EDIT: And of course the real key is backup, backup, backup. Preferably with at least one backup stored in a different location (at work, a friend, etc.)
    Last edited by garym; 11-25-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks! So glad I found this software. This is something I wish I found years ago. Restarted to rip my CD's twice this year alone with about 40 CD's. Now I can spend the winter completed this project and get rid of the boxes!

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks! So glad I found this software. This is something I wish I found years ago. Restarted to rip my CD's twice this year alone with about 40 CD's. Now I can spend the winter completed this project and get rid of the boxes!
    You're welcome. Another piece of advice. Play around a bit to get your ripping strategy setup the way you want (which tags, file naming/directory organization, etc.). Rip a few CDs and them use them in your server/player. Rip some regular artist CDs, some compilation CDs (various artists), multidisk CDs, etc. Get a feel for how you want to handle all these things and the settings you want to use, etc. Easier to do up front than to figure out you wished you had done something different AFTER the fact.

Sorry if my question is out of the box. Here's my problem :
    i just updated my Windows and my dBpoweramp is not showing. What should i do?
    i am using windows 10 btw.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 recently? In that case I would just try to reinstall dBpa.

Dat Ei