title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't set CD ROM Ripping Speed any more.

Administrator

Re: Can't set CD ROM Ripping Speed any more.

Once audio tracks are on a computer they can be compared, in the same way that other files on your computer can be compared. If 1 byte of a program, such as Microsoft Word was to change, the program would potentially crash and would be unusable. Thankfully for most people computers are 100% correct 100% of the time.

If you have 3 audio tracks which are byte for byte identical and you are hearing differences between the files, then the difference is not in those files.

AccurateRip checks the data inside of the files, not the file size.

I used to think above regarding the computer data example also. However, I learnt that music files aren't constructed the same way as data files. Indeed I started with a £20 drive, but wondered why my rips, played back on a £2400 server, didin't sound as good as 16/44 streams from Qobuz, in certain repects. I had a chat to a chap called Alan Ainslie, who was on the original Red Book standards board, having formerly run Technics UK. He's responsible for dozens of studio recordings and went on to develop the early Naim servers, such as the HDX. He explained what I'm trying to get across and having experimented, I was dumfounded, especially as there wasn't anything online about this. I've get to find somebody who can't hear the differences when demostrated in my system. I bet you didn't realise that the PSU that feeds the CD drive, has an effect on the sound? I was stunned to hear the difference comparing rips using a linear PSU. Reason? The cleaner PSU prevents mains noise getting into the digital signal, which creates errors. Didn't make sense to me, but I was lonaned one and I can hear the benefits.

I have no reason to big up the item for a review, it's unpaid and have done this purely for my own research. Simple thing would be for me to send anyone unsure some sample files via Dropbox I guess, although it would be better if it was a sample of something you've ripped yourself so you know the validity of the inferior file. I can back it up with science, I've told you the CD drive has done the error correction before A'rip see's the data, which is what always happens. A'rip is comparing data that's already had errors corrected by the drives of those who've ripped it, hence whilst it's better than nothing, it's not really that valid. This is something you can check if you look into it. Going back to Spoon's example of Program files not working if errors etc, think of the irony - there's no special ripping programs for data files, as not needed. Music data is stored differently, hence why DBPA exists. I'm going to leave this here now as clearly not on everyone's wavelength. However, hopefully others will spot the thread in future and test for themselves. I wish there had been some online references when I first Googled this, prior to ripping my collection with a cheap drive as it would have saved me 2 weeks of re-ripping! If someone wants to PM me their email address, I'm happy to DropBox some files across anyway

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ADIHEAD View Post
    I have no reason to big up the item for a review, it's unpaid and have done this purely for my own research. Simple thing would be for me to send anyone unsure some sample files via Dropbox I guess, although it would be better if it was a sample of something you've ripped yourself so you know the validity of the inferior file. I can back it up with science, I've told you the CD drive has done the error correction before A'rip see's the data, which is what always happens. A'rip is comparing data that's already had errors corrected by the drives of those who've ripped it, hence whilst it's better than nothing, it's not really that valid. This is something you can check if you look into it. Going back to Spoon's example of Program files not working if errors etc, think of the irony - there's no special ripping programs for data files, as not needed. Music data is stored differently, hence why DBPA exists. I'm going to leave this here now as clearly not on everyone's wavelength. However, hopefully others will spot the thread in future and test for themselves. I wish there had been some online references when I first Googled this, prior to ripping my collection with a cheap drive as it would have saved me 2 weeks of re-ripping! If someone wants to PM me their email address, I'm happy to DropBox some files across anyway
    Sorry, but you continue to make statements that are factually not true about the way CD ripping works. I understand that you really believe this and are passionate about your argument. I appreciate your passion. But on these topics, you are misunderstanding many things. I'm done with responding now, as the thread will be sufficiently clear for any future readers. Regards.

Administrator

Last try, if I have a picture (so lets get away from audio, which for some people has special properties), if I send that picture to 100 people by email, these 100 people can run a checksum check on the file to ensure it is 100% the same as the original. Changing 1 byte in the file (an error) will give a different checksum. This is computer science, you can cannot agree to that then I am done with trying to educate you.

AccurateRip works the same, if you rip and get an error and someone else rips and gets an error, they are not the same errors, the 2 tracks would have different errors, that way if AccurateRip gets a positive match you can be sure your rip is 100% correct. Why? because everyone's errors are unique to their drive or disc (you would not have the same scratch as someone else) and AccurateRip removes tracks with errors from the database, consider a popular disc, it will exist once in AccurateRip with one set of checksums.

If you are saying that bit for bit identical files sound different, then I am sorry you are beyond helping by logic and reason.