title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't set CD ROM Ripping Speed any more.

Can't set CD ROM Ripping Speed any more.

When I rip a CD, I usually leave the CR ROM Ripping Speed set to (Maximum). Every once in a while - particularly for a long CD - the last track or two will rip inaccurately. I can usually fix this be setting the CD ROM Ripping Speed to a slower speed.

Not long ago, I upgraded to version 16.5 of dBpoweramp. Everything has been fine, but today I tried to rip a long CD and the last track ripped inaccurately. When I went to try to lower the Ripping Speed, the CD Ripper wouldn't let me - the drop down only showed "(Maximum)". This was true both for my DVD-ROM (ATAPI iHDS118 5) and my DVD-RW (LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S).

I'm running Windows 7 (as I have been for the last seven years), and the drives are the same as when I could set the speed.

Why can't I set my Ripping Speed lower now?

Bill B.

Administrator

Re: Can't set CD ROM Ripping Speed any more.

Which ripping method are you using? (CD Ripper >> options button >> cd ripper options), down the list under 'communication'

It says "Windows Internal".

I've never noticed this parameter before. I changed it to "SCSI Pass Through (SPT)", and I was able to change the speed.

Is this a new setting?

Bill B.
    Last edited by IndyBaird; 11-26-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Administrator

It should be set to SCSI Pass through

Thanks!

I would like to be able to reduce the ripping speed of my drive (Pioneer BD-RW BDR-2209/BDR-209UBK/BDR-209M - different model numbers for the same drive) for the same reason as IndyBaird above. I'm running release 16.6 of dBpoweramp. When I try to change the speed for my drive my only options are "Maximum" or "X125" (I seem to recall this was "X40" under release 16.5). In any case, setting it to X125 doesn't reduce the speed of the drive. My drive communication options are "SCSI Pass Through (SPT), Windows Internal (For Limited Accounts), or SCSI Pass Through Read (D8)" If I set it to "SCSI Pass Through Read (D8)", it makes several Ultra Secure passes and then produces a Secure rip, but it doesn't use the AccurateRip database cross-checking. I have it set to "SCSI Pass Through (SPT)" and it rips normally (including using AccurateRip), but I'm unable to reduce the rip speed when I need to. Can anyone offer any advice for me? Thanks.

Administrator

Modern drives rip more accurately at higher speeds, if you slow a modern drive you will get more errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Modern drives rip more accurately at higher speeds, if you slow a modern drive you will get more errors.
    And yet consistently, if I can get the drive to slow down (like to 4X or 8X), it will most often accurately rip a track that it can't accurately rip at full speed (40X or 42X). I have observed this with two samples of the same model drive. As IndyBaird noted, this often happens on the last one or two tracks on the CD. It's a pity that I can't control the speed at will - as it is, I have to keep trying multiple rips until I get lucky and the drive decides to rip at a slower speed. I'd say this eliminates the errors in about half of the CDs that rip with errors at full speed.

This isn't correct. The slower you rip, the less vibrations so the less errors from the drive itself. Accurip only checks the file size. It can't account for error correction that's already taken place within the drive itself, before DBPA sees it.

Administrator

Wrong, modern drives rip better at higher speed, I have tested 1000's of CDs over 20 - 30 drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Wrong, modern drives rip better at higher speed, I have tested 1000's of CDs over 20 - 30 drives.
    I can prove this is listening tests, which I've written up the results and are due to be published in a magazine in September. The Melco D100 drive, which rips at much lower speed, gives far better results sonically than anything else on the market. When the drive is ripping at higher speeds, it vibrates, which cases the laser to mistrack and the drive's own error correction kicks in. How have you come to your conclusion? With data or by listening to music? My conclusion and indeed that of many others, is based on listening to the results.
    Last edited by ADIHEAD; 06-16-2019 at 04:49 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ADIHEAD View Post
    Accurip only checks the file size. It can't account for error correction that's already taken place within the drive itself, before DBPA sees it.
    How have you come to your conclusion? With data or by listening to music? My conclusion and indeed that of many others, is based on listening to the results.
    You don't understand how accuraterip works. You don't have to listen to compare results if the checksums are identical.

If you get the same checksum from different rips done with different copies of the CD, you have extracted all digital data there is on the CD correctly - regardless of any error correction performed by the drive.

Administrator

ADIHEAD is a person who has spent $$$$ on a drive for ripping and needs to justify that his rip is better than a $20 drive, when in reality it is not (it is actually worse as it does not use AccurateRip).

AccurateRip works by reading the disc and comparing the result to other peoples rips 'on different drives'. If the resulting files match up, with a matching check-sum, this guarantees a perfect tip.

Instead he has a drive which relies solely on the internals of the drive to self detect errors, what he does not know is that c2 error detection mathematically is not perfect and will left through around 1% of errors undetected!!! Oh dear.

AccurateRip has ripped close to half a billion CDs, that is lots of statistical data to go off, we know which drives work well and which do not.

You do not need to use listening tests, lossless audio files are either without error, or not, it is mathematics.
    Last edited by Spoon; 06-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Firstly, I haven't spent any money on the ripping drive - it's a review sample from the manufacturer, which has now been returned. Secondly, ALL drives correct errors, caused by vibration, as well as dirt, scratches etc internally, hence the limited ineffectiveness of Accurip. Accurip only checks data file sizes etc, it doesn't check the 1's & 0's, which will vary depending on what error correction took place within the drive, before it reached the PC. I have posted to help others save the time I wasted, re-ripping 600CD's after I began to appreciate the effect of the transport. Mathmatics doesn't change the fact my entire family and every friend I've invited over, can hear the difference between the files ripped with an LG Drive, Buffalo mains powered Bluray Dive and the Melco D100. Hopefully users who are prepared to have a listen for themselves will do so before they rip their collections. Not sure why you say my drive doesn't use Accurip? It is fed into the PC and Accurip scans as usual.
    Last edited by ADIHEAD; 06-16-2019 at 03:01 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Accurip only checks data file sizes etc, it doesn't check the 1's & 0's
    Just in case someone happens upon this thread, please note that this statement is entirely incorrect and demonstrates a misunderstanding of ACCURATERIP and digital music files in general.