title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC ID3v2 Tagging

FLAC ID3v2 Tagging

CD Ripper demo experience has been great. So fast! .. nearly ready to buy.
    WMP = "Windows Media Player"

(1) I would like lossless encoding, FLAC I guess.

(2) I would like to operate my music library completely outside iTunes/WMP other proprietary systems and be future proofed for future players / streamers.

(3) I have a DENON 2400 AV amp that uses the HEOS system/app for streaming from a DLNA server

(4) Have downloaded MP3TAG and have used to view tag properties.

(5) FLAC Files created in CD Ripper seem to be tagged with a "FLAC ID3V2" tag according to MP3TAG.

(6) My HEOS system (can of course) play these files but can't read the FLAC ID3V2 tag. So no nice app to browse my library with artwork etc. !

(7) I've tried this , suggested fix from BOSE. This converts the tag to just FLAC but this is still not read by HEOS.

(8) If I use the "get album info" in WMP against files with FLAC ID3V2 tags it seems to convert them to FLAC only and everything works fine in HEOS.

(8) is not an ideal solution because of (2)and really means that all the metadata function of CD Ripper (which looks great) is undermined / of no value.

Suggestions to buy a decent streamer or different device or that it's all DENON's fault .. probably not that helpful to me. (I will send all of this to DENON as well).

Can CD Ripper generate HEOS readable FLAC tags for me?
    Why does WMP do what it does?

Appreciate any insight that can be provided to this ageing, grumpy audiophile.

Administrator

Re: FLAC ID3v2 Tagging

We have not offered ID3v2 tagging as an option for FLAC files in about 15 years...we write Vorbis comments as per the standard. If you want to upload one of your smaller flac files to dropbox and personal mail me the link I will say for certain what it contains.

Which version of dBpoweramp do you have?

Thanks for feedback Spoon.
    I misinterpreted the behaviour of the Tagging in (5)-(8) above.
    While it is clear WMP does make changes to files once accessed and played this is clearly not a CD Ripper issue.

It seems ESSENTIAL that anyone accessing WMP or using it as a media server should install WMP Tag Plus before beginning to manage FLAC files. I missed that Key Step in the above and clearly attributed problems to tagging which are primarily due to how WMP mages/indexes its libraries and presents them when serving.

Thread may have little value if you wish to delete now; but I have now learned that installing WMP Tag Plus is an essential step; which may be obvious. A little less grumpy now .. so thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyConor View Post
    Thanks for feedback Spoon.
    I misinterpreted the behaviour of the Tagging in (5)-(8) above.
    While it is clear WMP does make changes to files once accessed and played this is clearly not a CD Ripper issue.

It seems ESSENTIAL that anyone accessing WMP or using it as a media server should install WMP Tag Plus before beginning to manage FLAC files. I missed that Key Step in the above and clearly attributed problems to tagging which are primarily due to how WMP mages/indexes its libraries and presents them when serving.

Thread may have little value if you wish to delete now; but I have now learned that installing WMP Tag Plus is an essential step; which may be obvious. A little less grumpy now .. so thanks.
    Obviously up to you, but myself (and many other posters on this forum) would say to NEVER, EVER let WMP touch your files. WMP will change artwork, make other changes (without your knowledge), etc. Personally, on any windows install on my own computers, I leave WMP as not set up so that I don't even accidentally open it.

If you are using WMP as your player, there are plenty of other windows players that will handle FLAC and all other files. (e.g., foobar2000).

dBpoweramp Guru

I agree with garym here and using WMP is asking for trouble. Personally, I turn off the Windows Media Player option in:
    Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Turn Windows features on or off

Thanks for advice guys.

Was only using WMP- Windows Media Server in advance of my Synology NAS arriving and to test operation of the Denon-HEOS system.
    (WMP Media Server being readily accessible from my Denon Amp and Smart TV).

Now NAS has arrived will try and keep my files away from WMP.