title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD-ROM drive with digital output

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

CD-ROM drive with digital output

I'm looking for a CD ROM drive with an USB connection and a digital output (coaxial or toslink) so I can connect it to a PC with dbpoweramp to rip CDs or connect it to a DAC to listen music?
    Thanks in advance
    M

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: CD-ROM drive with digital output

I'm not the most tech-savvy person to answer your question, but I doubt if there is such a drive. Seems to me you'd need a control interface of some kind to read the disc, navigate tracks, etc, before sending the digital audio data to a separate DAC. Which means an intermediary device such as a desktop, laptop or tablet with OS and software to play discs. Then you just connect the drive to the computer with USB and then send the digital audio out another USB port on the computer to your DAC. Unless your DAC does not have a USB port...

But someone smarter than me should be able to give you a more definite answer.

dBpoweramp Guru

For ripping CDs:

You need something like this to hold almost any size internal drive. It is a usb drive enclosure. I use an older version of this one.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392100

then a drive to go in it. Search for product in amazon too. It will show you the internal drives as well that you can buy.
    Last edited by garym; 11-24-2018 at 10:09 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by balma01 View Post
    I'm looking for a CD ROM drive with an USB connection and a digital output (coaxial or toslink) so I can connect it to a PC with dbpoweramp to rip CDs or connect it to a DAC to listen music?
    You just need a standard USB optical drive that will read audio CDs, which you will be able to rip with dBpoweramp and create your audio library.

There is no need for the coaxial/toslink digital output. A decent USB DAC with appropriate player software which supports WASAPI e.g. foobar2000, will allow you to play your library and send the digital audio data directly to the DAC.