title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: When submitting better tags to FreeDB

When submitting better tags to FreeDB

How does it know to overwrite what is already on the database? Or does it create a new entry/option when the next person rips the disc to use either the old tags or the ones I submitted?

Administrator

Re: When submitting better tags to FreeDB

I am not 100% sure freedb takes replacements.

dBpoweramp Guru

I recall that the actual freedb database is accessible and searchable online. I recall looking at some entries in it. You could submit an update and see if and how it appears in the database.

It was some time ago so I don't remember what I had to do to access it, but Google (and other search engines) are your friend. I'm sure that is how I found the information.

I did find that the format of the database is very simple, some of the weird display results result from the simplicity. For instance, I recall they use a slash (/) as the delimiter between the track title and artist, so if you have a slash in the entered (I think) artist field, when you display it in dBpoweramp, everything after the slash ends up in the title (or maybe it's the other way around, I looked into this aeons ago...)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    I recall that the actual freedb database is accessible and searchable online. I recall looking at some entries in it. You could submit an update and see if and how it appears in the database.

It was some time ago so I don't remember what I had to do to access it, but Google (and other search engines) are your friend. I'm sure that is how I found the information.

I did find that the format of the database is very simple, some of the weird display results result from the simplicity. For instance, I recall they use a slash (/) as the delimiter between the track title and artist, so if you have a slash in the entered (I think) artist field, when you display it in dBpoweramp, everything after the slash ends up in the title (or maybe it's the other way around, I looked into this aeons ago...)
    Someone on another forum suggested a way to "trick" Freedb by submitting better tags is to select the "misc" genre (or a genre slightly different from the actual genre) then submit the tags. I know when I pop a CD into my drive EAC will give me several different options to chose from what is in the Freedb database, but dbpoweramp will only automatically load one entry? Do I have that correct or is there some setting in dbpoweramp I need to adjust?

Just look at this example, both Discogs and GD3 have wrong tags (the CD liner notes are correct, I know Chopin's Nocturnes like the back of my hand) and the Freedb entry is dreadful. Whats worse is it's not just CD 2 where the tags or wrong/poor it's on CD 1 as well!