title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: MP3 rips are corrupt but FLAC and WAV have no problems?

MP3 rips are corrupt but FLAC and WAV have no problems?

I hit an odd problem where an MP3 that I had ripped from a CD had skips and noise in it, pretty much as if I'd bumped a tone arm on a turntable but with silence gaps as well, not just all noise.

And since I RIP FLAC at the same session, I checked my FLAC version of the file: Perfect, no problems. So I made a new MP3 from the FLAC, and it was also no problems. Instead of banging my head over this I said well, my version of dbP is two year old, ok, I'll upgrade, surely the glitch is fixed by now. (Although, really? A bug like that shouldn't need an upgrade purchase to get it FIXED, it is a glitch.)

Upgraded last week to the current version. Funny thing...I found another MP3 with the same issue, probably also made under the old version. Eventually I may be able to find all of those bad MP3s and generate new ones from FLAC, nut I was wondering:

Was this a known issue that has been fixed? Or am I the only one on the planet? Or is there some secret setting that doesn't allow MP3s to RIP cleanly, when the other formats do?

Redd

Administrator

Re: MP3 rips are corrupt but FLAC and WAV have no problems?

There have been no known issues for the mp3 encoder in the last 10 years at least. Try checking the HDD for corruption.

Thanks, Spoon.
    There is no HDD. There is a fairly new SSD, and the NTFS journaling file system, and the drive monitor hardware, and they all say there's nothing wrong with the drive system. With MANY files of many types, there's no drive corruption coming up--except in MP3s from dbpa.
    Which kinda baffled me, I bought into the program because it has gotten rave reviews for so long, and it works so nicely. Could this be the result of the software "dropping out" because of some system setting resulting in an overload during processing to MP3?
    There's also something else going on, which definitely IS a bug:
    If I set up presets (i.e. use xxx format, save to yyy location, save file name in format of aa\bbb\ccc etc? That works (took me long enough to try it!) until and unless I make any manual change, i.e. if I'm trying to rip a potentially cleaner duplicate and don't want to overwrite the existing file, I may sometimes just change the location for that new rip. But having done that, if I go back to using the presets button--the presets sometimes remain stuck on whatever (format or location) was used during the manual change. Selecting a different preset (i.e. "FLACfiles" when the manual change was in "MP3files") sometimes show the name of the preset--but the old information as to file type and/or location.

Pilot error? Or do I have two unique bugs here?

Administrator

>"dropping out" because of some system setting resulting in an overload during processing to MP3?

No, conversion is not a realtime event, you can have another app which 100% the PC and the conversion could take 24 hours (because it is given so little time) and the resulting file would be correct.

>remain stuck on whatever (format or location) was used during the manual change

That is correct, if you change settings for a preset, the preset is updated.

Perhaps the issue is not with the mp3 files, but a combination of the settings and the player. What settings are you using? what is your player?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    I hit an odd problem where an MP3 that I had ripped from a CD had skips and noise in it, pretty much as if I'd bumped a tone arm on a turntable but with silence gaps as well, not just all noise.

And since I RIP FLAC at the same session, I checked my FLAC version of the file: Perfect, no problems.
    There is an assumption here that CD Ripper is the cause of the problematic mp3 file.

First step is to see if you can re-create the issue by re-ripping the same CD again to flac and mp3. Does the new mp3 exhibit the same problem?