title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Audio CD Read Speed and therefor ripping speed limited to just 10x ??

Audio CD Read Speed and therefor ripping speed limited to just 10x ??

Hi,

I bought as replacement an Asus DRW-24D5MT. I started to rip with dBpoweramp and noticed ripping speed was limited to 10x. I found in CD Ripper Options a button for viewing CD ROM Technical Details. There I saw both Maximum Speed and Current Speed being 1764 KB/sec (x10). Then I found on the Asus product page:

Read Speed
    DVD+R : 16X
    DVD-R : 16X
    DVD+RW : 13X
    DVD-RW : 8X
    DVD-ROM : 16X
    DVD+R(DL) : 12X
    DVD+R(SL, M-DISC) : 12X
    DVD-R(DL) : 12X
    DVD-ROM(DL) : 12X
    DVD-RAM : 5X
    CD-R : 48X
    CD-RW : 40X
    CD-ROM : 48X
    DVD Video Playback : 6X
    VCD Playback : 24X
    Audio CD Playback : 10X

Look at the last line: Is it normal/possible the reading speed of an Audio CD is limited to just 10X?

My old plextors could read and rip audio CDs between 20X and 40X.

I want high ripping speeds. An alternative RW drive available on Amazon is lg-GH24NSD1 and on its product webpage it shows CD-DA 40x max. I assume we're talking about the same Audio CD Playback speed. So this LG will be considerably faster than the Asus I just bought.

If anyone confirm this Audio read speed limit of Asus and LG drives, than I send back the Asus and buy the LG.

Many thanks for helping this surprised guy.

Alexxxander

Re: Audio CD Read Speed and therefor ripping speed limited to just 10x ??

I just noticed some audio CDs ripped last tracks at almost 40x and in these cases CD ROM Technical Details of dBpoweramp tells that Maximum Speed and Current Speed are 7056 KB/sec (x40). So I understand that audio CDs can have considerably different ripping speeds on different drives.

Administrator

This normal, the drive self selects the maximum speed given the condition of the cd disc.

Thanks Spoon. Having now done now 10 discs, I can conclude that this Asus drive reduces max speed way more often than the Plextor 130A I had. Topic closed.