title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Music Converter Strips Genre Tag

Music Converter Strips Genre Tag

I'm using dBpoweramp v. 16.4 on macOS Mojave. When I convert .mp3 files to .m4a, the genre tag is stripped and I have to open the .m4a files in my tag editor and re-add the genre. All other tags are preserved although I noticed that the Music Converter adds a 0 and a 0 to the "disc number" "of" tag fields.

Administrator

Re: Music Converter Strips Genre Tag

If you right click on a mp3 file created >> Services >> Edit Tags with dBpoweramp

does it show Genre there?

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.

I tested conversion of MP3 to M4A with genre tags and could not find anything out of ordinary.

Is there anything specific about your genre tagging - are you for an example using multiple genre values per file?

What other program are you using that does not show genre values in the encoded files? Is it dBpoweramp itself that doesn't show genre on the files it wrote?

I tried it using dBpoweramp's tag editor and the genre tag was not stripped, so it must be an issue with the tag editor I'm using. I'm using a freeware app called Tagger: http://bilalh.github.io/projects/tagger/

Thanks for the quick response... I didn't know tag editing was even on the Services menu.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

I tested conversion of MP3 to M4A with genre tags and could not find anything out of ordinary.

Is there anything specific about your genre tagging - are you for an example using multiple genre values per file?

What other program are you using that does not show genre values in the encoded files? Is it dBpoweramp itself that doesn't show genre on the files it wrote?

Administrator

It is likely this other tagging program, as a final test, drop the file in iTunes, if it is able to read the Genre then there is no questions where the fault lies.

I tried it again using dBpoweramp's Edit Tags function (didn't know that was an option on the Services menu!) and the genre tag was NOT stripped on conversion. Apparently, it's a bug with the tag editor I was using (Tagger: http://bilalh.github.io/projects/tagger/). Thanks!