title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to batch convert mp3s from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How to batch convert mp3s from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4?

Apparently v2.4 is better than v2.3 for handling multiple artists and other things. So I have changed dbPoweramp codec configuration for encoding mp3s to use id3v2.4. I had hoped using the ID Tag Update utility would rewrite the tags with the new version, but it seems not.
    Do I need to set something in the manipulations to rewrite the tags with the newer version?

Administrator

Re: How to batch convert mp3s from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4?

ID Tag should do this, if you have dBpoweramp configured to write 2.4 then ID Tag update will write that new version.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Spoon. That's what I thought it should do. But I have tested it on one album and the ID tags are the same before and after.
    Here's the advanced codec configuration setting - mp3, ID3v2 version set to 2.4:
    Advanced Codec Configuration.JPG

and here's what mp3tag says after running ID Tag Update on the album - still at v2.3:

mp3tag after running batch convert.jpg

I've not set any options in the utility codec other than ID Tag processing, but it did do something in the progress window. I unchecked preserve file time and reran. It was so quick the "Completed in.." time was blank. The file was rewritten according to the file modification time though.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by timster67 View Post
    Here's the advanced codec configuration setting - mp3, ID3v2 version set to 2.4:
    Advanced Codec Configuration.JPG
    The mp3 ID Tagging >> Tag Creation option is wrong, as you have not selected ID3v2, rather APE2 & ID3v1.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    The mp3 ID Tagging >> Tag Creation option is wrong, as you have not selected ID3v2, rather APE2 & ID3v1.
    OK, selected ID3v2 in that option as you suggest. Made no difference I'm afraid. Still won't convert from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4. Seems to think as it's already at ID3v2.x it needs do nothing?

Administrator

Do the files have write access? try converting mp3 >> mp3 (in another location) as a test, this 100% creates new ID tags, what tag type is written?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Do the files have write access? try converting mp3 >> mp3 (in another location) as a test, this 100% creates new ID tags, what tag type is written?
    Hmm. That's interesting. mp3->mp3 with a new destination and they are still at ID3v2.3.
    So, I tried converting flac to mp3, and they are also v2.3.
    And yet the codec configuration is definitely as the image shows - v2.4

I must be missing something?

Administrator

If you close the configuration and then look again does it say 2.4?

dBpoweramp Guru

What version of dBpoweramp are you using?

... to confirm, I just tested a flac to mp3 (ID3v2.4) conversion in dBpoweramp Reference (registered) R16.5 and the resulting mp3s are showing as ID3v2.4 in MP3Tag.
    Last edited by mville; 09-23-2018 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added info

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

@Spoon, yes configuration's on v2.4 since I changed it yesterday morning. Interestingly, or confusingly, the Tag Creation was at ID3v1 and had been since installing it, until I changed it at mville's suggestion. And yet batch converting has always been to ID3v2.3. Most odd.

I'm using Registered Reference R15.3 (and seeing as the v2.4 option is in the configuration, one must assume I don't need 16 for it to actually do so).

I wonder - dBpoweramp configuration requires admin permission, but I run converter as a non-admin user. Could that be the issue?

Administrator

It is likely something on your system means the configuration program is writing its settings to a different location than can be read by music converter. The converter runs non-elevated, and those settings are stored non-elevated. Which security software do you have?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I used to have Norton 360, just recently changed to Norton Security.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yup. Just logged in as admin and ran a test mp3->mp3 conversion. And they came out as ID3v2.4
    I'll do the batch conversion as admin, but I'd like to know how to get it to work for a "non-admin" user for when I do any future flac to mp3 conversions.

Administrator

It is likely your security software is interfering with normal operation. dBpoweramp runs normally in admin or non-admin accounts.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have no idea how to determine if that is the case. Any pointers? Is it program control? They are all to do with internet and network access as far as I can see. Firewall? I have dBpoweramp allowed.