title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wavpack dsd support?

wavpack dsd support?

Does the current wavpack codec offer support for dsd files? I recently tried to convert some dsf files, but ended up with files the exact same size. I'm not sure if that was because of lack of support or just wrong settings.
    I did manage to compress the files using wavepack 5.1 and did get a savings of ~50% so if your current codec doesn't support dsd, I think it would be a valuable addition.
    Cheers

Administrator

Re: wavpack dsd support?

You were DoP embedding the dsd files in wavpack, or converting it to PCM?

I'll have to double check my settings, but it should be native dsd all the way through.

<edit> just checked, since is no option for native dsd in the dbpoweramp settings, so it was set to DoP

For more info, here's a link to the site where I first found out wavpack supports DSD: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com...ith-wavpack-5/
    The site specifies Foobar, but I have tested the wavpack DSD on my DAPhile server and they play correctly
    Last edited by Trev_L; 09-25-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Administrator

DoP is native DSD, by default dBpoweramp does not decode DSD as DOP, it converts to PCM, see dBpoweramp Control Centre >> Codec Settings.

I do have DoP selected in the codec settings. Maybe that's what's tripping the wavpack codec up?

I have tried the various compression settings in wavpack and it makes virtually no change in the file size. Also the resulting files seemingly show up as PCM (176400) in the properties - checked using mp3tag.
    The same files, converted using the method I linked to are much smaller and do show as 2822400 in mp3tag - dbpoweramp claims the files are corrupt or unsupported when I hover over them to check their properties.

Administrator

We will have to update the Wavpack encoder, I will add to our todo list.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We will have to update the Wavpack encoder, I will add to our todo list.
    Thanks for the update.
    I wasn't quite sure if it was wavpack v5 or v5.1 that added the support for dsd compression. It should be nice to have for people that use dsd files. It offers a decent level of compression - comparable to DST IIRC.

Hi everyone,

Wavpack feature to losslessly compress DSD is unique and very useful.

So if I understand correctly we can choose to convert DSD into "normal" wavpack if we choose "Decode as PCM" in Decoder Options or as DSD wavpack if we choose "Embed as DOP" instead. That's a good news.

Now what is the solution to convert wavpack to DSD file again or to PCM ? When I try to convert a wv in flac it is written "not configured to handle DSD WavPAck files"

Thank you !!!

Hi, with DSD decoding set to "DoP", I tried to convert DSF files to WV files but the resulting files have the same size as the initial DSF files.

Is there any way to configure Music converter to compress DSF files correctly (It's possible using WavePack batch encoder) ?

Thanks in advance

Administrator

The next update includes support for wavpack DSD.

Hi Spoon! Sorry if this sounds stupid, but does "the next update" mean that this is now implemented? I recently upgraded to dBpoweramp 2022-09-03 for macOS and can't seem to get this to work. In Music Converter, I have set Advanced settings > Codecs > Decoder Options > WavPack Decoder > DSD Processing to "Embed as DoP". Still, when I try to convert .dsf files to WavPack, the resulting files are not DSD, but Hi-Res PCM. Or is there another setting for this that I overlooked?

Super Moderator

At the moment dBpoweramp supports decoding of DSD WavPack but not encoding.

Note that the option is placed under WavPack Decoder, not Encoder.

Encoding will be added in a future update.

Hi all, I've just upgraded to Release 2023-01-20 but I'm unable to convert DSD wavpack files to 24 bits PCM FLAC with Music converter.

the error message I've got is 'not configured to handle DSD Wavpack files! [clDecoder_Wavpack::Open]'.

Any idea about it ?

Thanks in advance

Administrator

Issue confirmed, next update will fix

Thanks for the quick feedback.

One question about the future fix.

For DSD files to PCM conversion , I frequently use a volume normalization (+6 dB).

In order to keep a full 24 bit accuracy for the resulting files, internal calculations need to be performed with, at least, 32 bit precision.

Will it be the case with Music Converter and wavpack DSD files ?

Thansk in advance