title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: m4a FDK (aac) Conversion Options

Question m4a FDK (aac) Conversion Options

Howdy all

What are the complete array of parameter switches available for the m4a FDK (AAC) encoder? I'm struggling to locate adequate help info (both here and with the help files that come with the software).

I use JRiver for my audio library management. For whatever reason, the devs haven't included an AAC encoder in the default offering. No matter, dBpoweramp to the rescue.

JRiver offers the user the option of calling up an external audio encoder with functionality that passes a parameter string to the executable. Sweet, this should be easy. However, the documentation on the available command line switches is a bit light on.

From the installed help detail (R16.5 dBpoweramp, m4a FDK (aac) R6), I can get guidance from:
    Code:
    file:///<installed drive letter>:/Program%20Files/dBpoweramp/Help/Codec/m4a%20FDK%20(AAC)/help.htm
    Here's the relevant excerpt:
    Command Line

dBpoweramp Reference allows compressions from the command-line, commands specific to this codec:

-bitrate [level] set encoding bitrate

Example: "c:\program files\illustrate\dBpoweramp\coreconverter.exe" -infile="c:\afile.wav" -outfile="c:\outfile.m4a" -convert_to="m4a FDK (aac)" -bitrate 128
    Easy enough to update the outdated program location info but there's only advice for one command line parameter switch and that's for specification of constant bit rate. I can see from searching the forum that variable bit rate has been included but the details of how to implement the command line detail are sketchy.

I can see from the file at:
    Code:
    <installed drive letter>:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\encoder\m4a FDK (AAC)\encoder.txt
    that there's an array of detail. Cross checking with other sources of info such as:
    hydrogenaudio Wiki - Fraunhofer FDK AAC
    The parameter for VBR appears to be "-m xxx", where xxx = 1 - 5 for the various quality settings.

What else is available?

Thanks ...

Administrator

Re: m4a FDK (aac) Conversion Options

Re: m4a FDK (aac) Conversion Options

Hey thanks.

Clunky but if it works, it works.