title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Upgraded to verision 16.4.1 and...

Upgraded to verision 16.4.1 and...

CD reader is not able to read discs after insertion. All I get is the message: "No audio CD inserted".
    Any ideas?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Upgraded to verision 16.4.1 and...

Which OS? Which security software?

Dat Ei

I realized I was running my cd reader through a USB hub, and had to take that out of the chain for CD Ripper to recognize my device. After the first successful reading, the hub was not an issue.

However: After ripping several discs, I am encountering an error message, saying that the last track on the disc can't be read and aborts the ripping process. I've had to eject, reinsert and rip the last track successfully. I've also found that in doing this, the disc won't be recognized, sometimes, so I have to quit DBp, and/or turn disc reader off and back on. (All this without the use of said USB hub.)

Administrator

> I've also found that in doing this, the disc won't be recognized, sometimes, so I have to quit DBp, and/or turn disc reader off and back on

This is a sign that the CD drive is miss-behaving. You would have to try a different make of CD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    This is a sign that the CD drive is miss-behaving. You would have to try a different make of CD drive.
    I suspect this happens because when I get the error message, and I'm prompted to click on "Eject & Close", I just close dBp instead. Will investigate upon further ripping.

Just to add that I suspect I'm getting similar issues.

Bought 4 new CDs from Amazon, fired up dBpoweramp and noticed there was an update to 16.4.1 available. Updated, restarted, then attempted to rip the CDs.

Every one of them either wouldn't be recognised as an audio CD, or reported ripping errors. This was with a USB Lite-On external drive. I then tried again with a Samsung USB CD drive, and this also reported ripping errors with the first CD I tried.

I've not done much further investigation (such as trying to rip a CD that was previously successful), but initial signs suggest there could be a problem with the updated ripper...? I have had new CDs from Amazon in the past with manufacturing defects, but to have 4 in one go would be extremely unlucky!

An update - I tried downgrading to 15.8 and re-ripped.... and got the same ripping errors. Which ruled out the version update to dBpoweramp causing the problem, so I bought a new CD drive (this one from Amazon) - and all CDs ripped fine!

So to summarise, in my situation there's nothing wrong with the latest version of the ripper. I just happened to have two drives on the way out when I updated dBpoweramp.

Administrator

Yes a co-incidence, we once had a user who when updating their software had the mouse break, they were convinced that the software update caused the mouse to break (and were more than a little angry about it).