title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Editing fields and custom tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dasion
    • Sep 2018

Editing fields and custom tags

Hi,

I want to better understand what options I have for modifying/creating tags. I am trying to populate tags with multiple entries for an Instrument tag (custom) and Album Artists tag. I understand I need to use a semicolon ( as a delimiter and that the tag needs to be setup to take multiple entries with a number different from 0 in MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt. I understand this number gives the maximum number of multiple entries for a field, yes? Is there an upper limit to the number of entries allowed per tag? I never see more than 3.

I also see tags such as t_instrument and t_soloist which I might be interested in using instead of my custom Instrument tag and the Album Artist tag. Would it be possible to know how to use these fields and if so what their names are to access them. (I am not sure what the t_refers to).

In general, I would like to have a better understanding of the mechanism for dealing with multiple entries for a tag, with creating as few custom tags as possible.

Thanks
  • vilsen
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2018

Re: Editing fields and custom tags

Originally posted by dasion
    the tag needs to be setup to take multiple entries with a number different from 0 in MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt. I understand this number gives the maximum number of multiple entries for a field, yes? Is there an upper limit to the number of entries allowed per tag? I never see more than 3.
    In MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt, "0" means Asset will index 1 single value, and "3" means that Asset will make room for 4 values in the index.

So it's either "singles only" (0) or "multiples allowed" (3).

Asset supports a maximum of 4 multiple values. If you have tagged a file with more than 4 values, only the first 4 will be read & indexed by Asset.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

All fields should really be 3, it is a fixed number now.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• vilsen
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Spoon
        This is news to me. So you can't have a smaller index by using "0" anymore?

EDIT: From which version was this changed? I can't see any mentioning in the change log.
        Last edited by vilsen; 09-12-2018, 04:35 PM. Reason: Additional question

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It has always been like this.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• vilsen
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2018

It has always been like this.
            Are you saying that the "0" was always pointless, and that Asset has always, in all versions, made room for 4 values in the index?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Zero can be used on fields where there is expected one entry, such as title, so the choice is 0 or 3.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• vilsen
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jul 2018

Zero can be used on fields where there is expected one entry, such as title, so the choice is 0 or 3.
                That is what I said in my first post.

But then I don't understand why you stated this:
                Why did you say it is a fixed number?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

If you change the 3 to 5, it will not work.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• vilsen
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2018

If you change the 3 to 5, it will not work.
                    Obviously, and that should be understood from my first post too.

But it's still not a fixed number, since you can use 0 or 3.

Comment

• dasion
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by dasion
                      I also see tags such as t_instrument and t_soloist which I might be interested in using instead of my custom Instrument tag and the Album Artist tag. Would it be possible to know how to use these fields and if so what their names are to access them. (I am not sure what the t_refers to).
                      Thank you for answering the first part of my question. I still am unsure what the t_instrument and t_soloist entries (and similar) in MediaDatabaseFieldsv5.txt refer to. I see them as integers and so it seems they are not meant as regular tags, maybe a sort of index id?

Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Correct it is an indexed table which is faster.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dasion
                          • Sep 2018

Correct it is an indexed table which is faster.
                          Thank you. So that would mean that for example "instrument" (from t_instrument) is a tag that I could use by adding it to the meta tag tree, yes?

Comment

• vilsen
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Jul 2018

Yes, since t_instrument is indexed Asset will read your "Instrument" tags.

When adding custom tags like e.g. "Lyricist" I have used both t_lyricist and lyricist, and both methods work.

Perhaps Spoon can explain the difference between the two.

Comment

• dasion
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by vilsen
                              Yes, since t_instrument is indexed Asset will read your "Instrument" tags.

When adding custom tags like e.g. "Lyricist" I have used both t_lyricist and lyricist, and both methods work.

Perhaps Spoon can explain the difference between the two.
                              If the t_<tagname> is an index file then I am trying to figure out if it points to another table that has some pre-entries. The reason I am thinking this is I am using Musichi tagger and under genre, for example, it allows you to populate with preselects that start with numbers, and "(01.10) Orchestral Music>March" in Musichi results in "Classic Rock" in AssetPlayer.

Also I can't seem to get multiple entries with the Instrument tag. I put something like "flute; cello" in the tagger and in Player I get exactly that (ie a single entry "flute; cello") whereas doing the same in other tags results in multiple entries.

But thanks for your answers, I am making progress and pretty close to having things as I want them.

Comment

Working...

]]>