title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DTS Digital surround audio discs

DTS Digital surround audio discs

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently trialing the free version of DBpoweramp and although it's very impressive, nicely laid out, simple and quick I can't seem to find a way to rip my DTS audio discs.

The software appears to recognize the tracks (even finds the disc's artwork) and goes through the motions of ripping the music to wave format but the output is still just high frequency "noise".

Is there actually a way for me to rip and convert these DTS songs into another non lossy format that I can then play on my Sony HR Walkman?

I was under the impression that DBpoweramp could be a one stop shop for me.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise someone may have.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: DTS Digital surround audio discs

You have ripped the DTS disc correctly.

However, you need a player with a DTS decoder installed, able to decode the tracks on playback.

dBpoweramp will not decode DTS. FYI, foobar2000 has a DTS decoder component, that will play your files.
    Last edited by mville; 09-09-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added reference to foobar2000

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    You have ripped the DTS disc correctly.

However, you need a player with a DTS decoder installed, able to decode the tracks on playback.

dBpoweramp will not decode DTS. FYI, foobar2000 has a DTS decoder component, that will play your files.
    Many thanks for your reply Mville.

As you've stated I believe I am ripping the disc correctly, however my understanding was that the software would rip the track and convert it at the same time so it would end in a non DTS format.

If it isn't capable of converting it why bother with the various output options?

I have as you suggested tried Foobar2000 tonight and it does indeed rip and convert to an uncompressed WAV format - (which sounds lovely by the way).

Thank you for your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    As you've stated I believe I am ripping the disc correctly, however my understanding was that the software would rip the track and convert it at the same time so it would end in a non DTS format.
    CD Ripper attempts to rip the digital audio data from redbook audio CDs and write that data to a file format of your choosing.

This is exactly what happens when you rip your DTS disc. Nowhere in the software or the Illustrate website does it claim to also decode ripped digital audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster View Post
    If it isn't capable of converting it why bother with the various output options?
    CD Ripper is capable of outputting the digital audio to a variety of file formats and Music Converter is capable of converting many file formats, but I think you misunderstand the difference between file conversion and file decoding.

My problem is different. I attempted to rip the DTS layer of the Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, but apparently the dbPoweramp ripper defaults only to the "standard stereo" layer.

I set output for "wave," and bit depth, sampling rate and channel count all at "as source."

The product was 2-channel, 16-bit, 1,411 kbps.

Days of Future Passed DTS 2.jpg

Administrator

Normally DTS is encoded into the CD layer, if you try to play the track it will sound like white noise, this is the DTS encoding.