title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: editing metadata

editing metadata

Hi all,
    i recently had to install Db on another computer after my previous one died. I have followed the set up correctly (i think) but have one issue. Ripped cd's (to QNAP NAS) are showing and playing fine via my streamer. However, if i look at the files on my NAS via file explorer, they are shown in apphabetical order followed by a dash and the track number. No problem here as they are showing in track order on my streamer. However, if I look to edit the metadata via ID tag, the screen that comes up shows "different" to each heading (ie no album details) and if I try to edit any of the headings, after a period with the blue circle it tells me that editing is not possible. Can anyone tell me what I have done/am doing wrong.
    Many thanks
    John

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: editing metadata

Please can you post a screenshot showing the behaviour you are trying to describe?

dBpoweramp Guru

It may be that your dynamic naming string is not formatting file names to include track number at beginning of file name. Post your dynamic naming string from cd ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you post a screenshot showing the behaviour you are trying to describe?
    Hi mville
    As requested
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    It may be that your dynamic naming string is not formatting file names to include track number at beginning of file name. Post your dynamic naming string from cd ripper.
    Hi Gary
    I'm using \\[album artist]\[album]\[title]-[track]
    thanks

John

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Hi mville
    As requested
    Only select the audio files, before selecting Edit ID-Tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary
    thanks
    Are you sure that is your Naming string?

If yes, why have you edited it rather than use the default Naming?:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

dBpoweramp Guru

if i look at the files on my NAS via file explorer, they are shown in apphabetical order followed by a dash and the track number. No problem here as they are showing in track order on my streamer.
    This is because you are viewing the files in File Explorer and the folder is sorted by filename.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary
    thanks

John
    you definitely should have "[track] - [title]" instead if you want explorer to sort in track order. But as mville says, there are better naming strings too.

Administrator

The tag editor is showing 'different' because you have selected 'folder.jpg' to be edited also...

Hi guys,
    Many thanks for your help. To clarify, I purchased a NAS drive which came &*8220;fully configured&*8221; and the selling company set it up via remote connection to my PC. This is the naming thread they set up. I will experiment with the default and see how that goes. One question, if say I wanted to edit the album title, if I just highlight the first audio tracks (up to the folder), would this allow me to do this .
    Many thanks
    John

Administrator

To change the album, select all the audio tracks >> right click >> edit id tags.

Then just change the album title and click ok.

dBpoweramp Guru

the selling company set it up via remote connection to my PC. This is the naming thread they set up. I will experiment with the default and see how that goes. One question, if say I wanted to edit the album title, if I just highlight the first audio tracks (up to the folder), would this allow me to do this .
    I would advise you start by reading the software help pages:
    dBpoweramp Music Converter

Thanks Spoon
    Just to illustrate my lack of computer skills, how would I highlight all the audio files but not the folder file when this the folder file is in the middle of the file list (ie, how do I bypass the folder file when right click and dragging to highlight the audio files)?
    Thanks
    John

dBpoweramp Guru

Select all and then press the Ctrl-Key and left-click the "folder.jpg" file.

Dat Ei