title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File size mis-match for converted files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrAnton
    • Sep 2018

File size mis-match for converted files

Hello!

I have observed the following baffling behavior which I'll illustrate with an example.

Using db CD Ripper, I ripped from CD the same track, one directly into FLAC Level 5, call this A and the other directly into WAV Lossless, call this B.

The size of A = 21,342,196 bytes and the size of B = 39,902,810.
    As I understand it, FLAC is a lossless compression algorithm whereas WAV is uncompressed. My expectation is as follows:

I should be able to convert FLAC to WAV and WAV to FLAC and get exact copy of the originally ripped WAV and FLAC tracks respectively. Instead, I get some additional bytes at the end of the converted tracks as illustrated below:

A converted to WAV gives a size = 39,902,868 bytes NOT 39,902,810 as expected
    B converted to FLAC gives a size = 21,342,366 bytes NOT 21,342,196 bytes as expected.

What are the additional bytes on the converted track? Is there some additional tagging that is appended during the conversion?

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: File size mis-match for converted files

It will be tag differences, if you want to compare the audio visit codec central above and install the utility codec 'Calculate Audio CRC', then convert both files to this codec and a CRC will be shown, if the numbers match then the audio is identical.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DrAnton
      • Sep 2018

Thanks Spoon. What tag diff would there be between a db cd RIP and a convert to the same format? Seems a bit weird to me.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Without seeing the files I could not guess, however you can check the audio data as mentioned.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DrAnton
          Thanks Spoon. What tag diff would there be between a db cd RIP and a convert to the same format? Seems a bit weird to me.
          even if tag fields are the same, could be different "padding" used. Lots of reasons. As spoon noted, using the "calculate audio CRC" is the best way to confirm two audio files are identical.

Comment

Working...

]]>