title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper locking up upon disc eject

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

CD Ripper locking up upon disc eject

I've noticed that sometimes CD ripper will lock up after ejecting a disc. The CD Ripper window indicates the disc is ejecting and all of the CD's information goes away except for the cover art image. Sometimes I will get the Windows Task Manager dialog box with the option to close the program but that doesn't work, nor does trying to go into Task Manager and ending the process. The only way to recover when this happens is to hard power cycle the computer. If I try to restart the computer says it is shutting down but it just spins and spins and never shuts down or restarts. When this happens it also prevents the other instance of CD Ripper from working. Not sure if this is a Windows issue or maybe something with the cover art files since that is the only information that remains in the CD Ripper window. I'm running Windows 7 Pro SP1 with all current updates. Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Administrator

Re: CD Ripper locking up upon disc eject

It is likely the CD drive has crashed internally, try using Windows explorer and browse the CD drive when this happens.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes, when this happened again the drive disappears from Windows explorer, and as I mentioned, when this happens it locks up the entire computer and I have to hard power cycle to recover from it. I've talked to you about how I have my PC setup, I have four optical drives installed, two LG DVD drives and two Pioneer BluRay drives, and I usually have no more than two instances of CD Ripper open simultaneously so I can rip more than one CD simultaneously, I have the multiple drives installed so if one dies I can keep going to finish a ripping project, etc. I don't use all four at once! This generally has worked well but I will remove the drive I think is causing the issue and see if it persists, I think it is one of the Pioneer BD drives. Any other thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Administrator

You will have to replace the drive with another brand. A CD drive should never crash internally, even if asked to 'eject' by a program.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have disconnected the suspect Pioneer BD drive and ripped approximately 200 CD's using both the remaining LG GH24NS90 and Pioneer BDR-208D drives without the issue recurring. When you say the drive is crashing 'internally' are you referring to mechanical failure or something else? I like using the blu ray drives since they typically seem to rip faster than the standard DVD drives although sometimes it seems ripping speed is dependent on each CD. Sometimes both drives will just crawl through a rip at 8x or less. Anyway, that's not the issue. I'll monitor the situation with the one drive disconnected and see if the issue persists. Thanks again for your input.

Administrator

A software bug in its firmware, the CD drive is like a mini computer.