title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: What are the best optical drives out there right now (2018)? And some other questions

Question What are the best optical drives out there right now (2018)? And some other questions

Seeking recommendations! I'm getting ready to purchase a new optical drive, researching etc, and want to get the best one I can afford ($200-ish max). The drive's exclusive use will be the continued ripping of my HUGE redbook CD library to flac via the latest version of dBpoweramp. Most of my thousands of CDs are in VG+ to Mint condition.

Considerations:
    1. I would like the drive to have been confirmed to offer 'C2 Error Pointers' support if possible (and do it well).
    2. Either an 'internal' OR 'external' drive would be acceptable.
    3. Blu-ray and/or M-Disc support would be desirable, but not essential. Accurate Redbook CD ripping is my primary consideration.

Questions:
    1. With thousands of CDs to rip, a fast drive (40x - 48x) would certainly be desirable, but only if it won't sacrifice rip accuracy. Are faster drives OK, or should I stick with 24x max speed (for example)?
    2. Are there other features and/or options in a drive I should look for where CD ripping is the primary consideration?

I realize drive brand/model preference will at least be partially subjective, nevertheless ANY good recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: What are the best optical drives out there right now (2018)? And some other quest

Check the CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List thread and get a couple of recent drives from different manufactures.

Any recent optical drive will be fast enough. I would forget about C2 Error Pointers as being a requirement and you don't need to spend $200, more like $20.

Re: What are the best optical drives out there right now (2018)? And some other quest

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Check the CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List thread and get a couple of recent drives from different manufactures.
    I appreciate the response and link! Ya, I had already previously looked there extensively. When Googled, many of the top drives listed direct you to an Amazon (etc) page where it's stated "There is a newer model of this item" you can click on and be directed to. Just hoping to get some kind fellow dBpoweramp Folk's more recent accounts=)

Any recent optical drive will be fast enough.
    OK. If I may press my initial question: "1. With thousands of CDs to rip, a fast drive (40x - 48x) would certainly be desirable, but only if it won't sacrifice rip accuracy. Are faster drives OK, or should I stick with 24x max speed (for example)?"

I would forget about C2 Error Pointers as being a requirement and you don't need to spend $200, more like $20.
    Not meaning to sound challenging IN THE LEAST, but this must be the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest not using C2 Error Pointers when they had the option to (assuming I'm reading you correctly). Am I reading you correctly? Since I have the opportunity, should I not buy a drive that does a good job offering C2 Error Pointers support, and utilize that functionality? Or, IYO, am I better off never using? May I press you to offer as detailed an explanation as you're willing?

I ended up purchasing the latest iteration of the top-of-the-list Lite-on (ATAPI BD IHAS124-14), Plextor (PX-891SAF-Plus) and an ASUS (ZenDrive SDRW-08U9M-U/SILS).
    Last edited by Theleb_Kaarna; 09-12-2018 at 01:35 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Theleb_Kaarna View Post
    Not meaning to sound challenging IN THE LEAST, but this must be the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest not using C2 Error Pointers when they had the option to (assuming I'm reading you correctly). Am I reading you correctly? Since I have the opportunity, should I not buy a drive that does a good job offering C2 Error Pointers support, and utilize that functionality? Or, IYO, am I better off never using? May I press you to offer as detailed an explanation as you're willing?
    Quite a few drives/drive firmware claim to support C2 Error Pointers, when in reality they do not. If you read these forums you will see many posts where users have issues with C2 Error Pointers.

Quite a few drives/drive firmware claim to support C2 Error Pointers, when in reality they do not. If you read these forums you will see many posts where users have issues with C2 Error Pointers.
    Thanks for the response, ya, you're right, I've been seeing this posted around. I took your advice and purchased a couple drives (see my previous post). Don't even know if they support C2 Error Pointers or not, no longer a priority. I'll still test them though to see if supported, and play around with using vs. not using. Thanks again for your comments=)

If Accurate Redbook CD ripping is your primary consideration then forget about slim type external devices and go 5.25" only drives.

I suggest the Asus BW-16D1HT (Blu-ray writer) There is also an Asus DVD-only writer, forget about it, it's much worse reading audio.

Also, you can consider any Pioneer with glossy front bezel (not the ones made of junk plastic) They are fantastic too for yellowish CD-R and CopyControlled Audio Compact Discs
    But be careful with Pioneer with glossy front bezel ones; If you rip more than twice then you're stressing it and may become useless for accurate audio reading permanently and lead to repeated erroneus CRC's in good shape CD's. Not a good idea to perform test and copy with these devices, in any case you should consider let the drive rest for an hour after a test & copy function.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

There is that test described under "Configuring Secure Ripping" on the Setup Guide to determine if C2 error pointers are supported. I did the test and I am trusting in the reliability of the results which indicate my drive does support this feature.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So after reading thru some different discussions here I am definitely not going to risk buying a used optical drive which may offer compromised performance if it has much wear and tear on it (no way of knowing), and shopping on Amazon I am unsure of whether to go with

Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive Optical Drive IHAS124-14 or

ASUS Computer International Direct Blu-Ray Writer BW-16D1HT (at five times the price but it does Blu-ray discs which my present drive does not)

and whichever I buy one of these

Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Drive All Black seems like a good addition...

Anyone want to pitch in with advice or opinions, I am going to sit on this purchase decision for a couple days, thanks...