title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Erratic Behaviour Gathering Metadata and Trying to Rip

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Angry Erratic Behaviour Gathering Metadata and Trying to Rip

Scenario *1: Dell 380 mini-tower w/dual core Intel 2.93GHz processor, 8GB RAM, new ASUS SATA Optical drive, Window 10 64-bit
    Scenario *2: HP dc7800 desktop w/dual core Intel processor, 4GB RAM, nice SATA optical drive, Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Wheels turn while gathering metadata, sometimes successfully and sometimes not, using several CDs. Sometimes takes 1-2 minutes (maybe 3, but who's counting by this time) on a fast Internet connection to get any results at all, and sometimes no results even with repeated tries on the same disc. Sometimes, metadata appears and almost instantly disappears just before my hand reaches for the mouse. I've tried dBpoweramp 15.3 which "seems" more reliable in this respect. I've tried 16.4 with mixed results&*8212;exhibited weird behavior as described above sometimes but then seemed to settle down and ripped a couple of CDs w/o incident. Delivered the Dell with 16.4 installed and fully configured to client and on the very first attempt at ripping a CD, metadata appeared and then disappeared. Tried a different CD and after one failed attempt to gather metadata, another prompt to seek on-line resulted in metadata AND a successful RIP. This behavior was encountered with 3 different optical drives: the new one was a bit faster and appear to behave reliablely but that's the one that was in the Dell when I delivered it today.

We've been using dBpoweramp in its latest versions for at least 6 years, maybe even 8, but we've never seen a problem like this.

The HP didn't seem to work any better in this regard. All in all, I've tried 3 different optical drives. Any idea of what might be going on?

I fear another processor incompatibility, ala the AMD Opteron 64 fiasco when set to compression level 5.

Dennis...aks "d2b"
    Last edited by d2b; 08-30-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: mispelled word