title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch convert Flac to MP3 (but Copy MP3 source files as is)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Batch convert Flac to MP3 (but Copy MP3 source files as is)

I've seen older threads on this and there are ways to deal with it.

But it sure would make life easier if a option to "pass through" lossy files when converting a library.

It's really a pain to maintain 2 libraries lossy and lossless (Same Artist in 2 directories etc.)

The way I have been working around it is, I copy all MP3's to Target (with XCOPY), run ReArrange Audio so they are in the exact same places as they would be if they were converted (and reencoded).

Then I do a Batch Convert on the whole library (Flac & MP3 source) with the SAME Folder structure and target signature.

What happens is, Batch Convert will come back and ask, do you want to overwrite all the MP3's and I say no to all.

A suggestion on implementing such a feature would be if the target format matches the source format just copy the file rather than decode/encode (disregard bitrate).
    Some albums you just can't find CD's or Flac and your stuck with MP3. And it's still more practical to use high bitrate MP3's in many applications (phone / car).

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch convert Flac to MP3 (but Copy MP3 source files as is)

Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
    It's really a pain to maintain 2 libraries lossy and lossless (Same Artist in 2 directories etc.)
    Please can you describe exactly how your flac and mp3 libraries are organised?

As I understand it, you have a flac library and an mp3 library and you wish to convert the flac library to a new mp3 library?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you describe exactly how your flac and mp3 libraries are organised?

As I understand it, you have a flac library and an mp3 library and you wish to convert the flac library to a new mp3 library?
    It shouldn't matter how I organize it. But for the record I organize it by "Genre/Artist/Album", some artists will have some Albums Flac and Others MP3.
    It's nuts to organize you're "library" by file format.

It's looks like TuneFusion is exactly what I was asking for.
    Where do I give my money too.

It was a little clumsy to use but it looks like it's working. Re-encodes FLAC and Copies MP3 1:1.

What's even better is that it's a "Sync" tool. So If I add albums it will just "Fuse" the new stuff.
    Some albums are "encoded" like SACD, AC3 etc. some multi channel. Be cool if it could handle "down converting" those to 2 channel MP3 or FLAC.

Thanks @garym and @schmidj

dBpoweramp Guru

It shouldn't matter how I organize it. But for the record I organize it by "Genre/Artist/Album", some artists will have some Albums Flac and Others MP3.
    I was simply trying to understand (in terms of the file and folder structure) exactly what you were trying to accomplish.

Currently TuneFUSION is in beta, but I would expect you can accomplish what you want in TuneFUSION.

It's nuts to organize you're "library" by file format.
    Me (and possibly others) might not agree with you, but of course it's your library, so you can organise it how you like.

dBpoweramp Guru

A suggestion on implementing such a feature would be if the target format matches the source format just copy the file rather than decode/encode (disregard bitrate).
    i wonder if the beta product tunefusion will do this.
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ON-Discussions

dBpoweramp Guru

I've used Tunefusion pretty successfully to merge my main FLAC directory and the remains of my old m4a (ripped with winamp) directory to a new directory ( to copy to my smartphone) where the FLAC files are converted to m4a and the files from the m4a directory are just copied.

Like much software, there is a bit of a learning curve, but Tunefusion is nice because once you have done this once (it will take many hours if you have a large library), for future conversions it will only transfer new/changed files if you have configured it properly. In most cases that saves an immense amount of time for the updates.

Tunefusion supports most if not all of the codecs used by dBpoweramp.