title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Recommended Servers for supporting Asset UPnP

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Recommended Servers for supporting Asset UPnP

In days gone by, I had stored my music on a Western Digital Sentinel server. This unit allowed me to install Asset UPnP as well as a program from APC that would allow their SMT750 UPS to gracefully shutdown the server in the event of a power failure. When my server's LCD screen failed, Western Digital sold me a My Cloud PR4100, advising that this was unit was a comparable replacement to the Sentinel and would provide the same functionality. I would note that their currently published support documents clearly specify that the SMT750 UPS is supported and compatible with the MyCloud device.

It has taken me some time to realize that Western Digital clearly misrepresented the situation: Ultimately I realized that the PR4100 does not allow ANY extra software to be installed. While the PR4100 comes formatted with Twonky, I found this program to be quite cumbersome. However, being unable to install additional software, I struggled to figure out how to enable Asset UPnP -- which I found profoundly superior to Twonky -- to stream my music. With help from this forum, I was able to purchase and program a Raspberry Pi to mount the shared music files allowing Asset UPnP on the Raspberry to interface with my music library. However, despite assurances otherwise (and extensive calls with customer support), it has now become apparent that the inability to install other software precludes setting up a configuration by which the UPS will gracefully shutdown the Western Digital NAS.

I have decided to move into a new server that will support Asset UPnP as well as the required software to allow graceful shutdown of the server when on UPS power. I am most familiar with Windows but know nothing about QNAP or Synology. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions from the forum.

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Recommended Servers for supporting Asset UPnP

This will give a list of all versions of Asset: http://dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

I'd choose a QNAP over Synology (I have both and prefer the QNAP), although I think either will do the UPS shutdown thing.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the recommendation.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

BTW, I am probably looking to get a four bay model. Any thoughts about the TS-451+ versus the TS-453B?

Thanks again

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry that's something I can;t really answer. It's dependent on what you intend to use it for. I recommended QNAP over Synology purely because Asset is supported, and having both, can attest the QNAP has more features that are useful to me.
    You should probably do a Compare here: https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/product/
    Select 4-bay (although most tend to have 2-bay - again depending on usage) and then the two you ar elooking at. It will give a breakdown of the differences.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks. I have found similar sites with comparisons between the two. There are a few surprisingly negative reviews particularly about the TS-451+. Just wondering if you (or anyone else) has or is currently using either of these models.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have the HS-251+. I see from the website that the 451 has a similar spec with the advantage of expandable memory. I guess it depends on if you want 4K support, and Thunderbolt (whatever that is!)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks again