title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No meta data after upgrade to CD Ripper 16.4

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: No meta data after upgrade to CD Ripper 16.4

Do you know that news?

Dat Ei

Dat Ei, the solution you pointed to, solved the problem! Thank you very much! You helped ending my four day agony.
    mville, thank you very much for taking the time and effort trying to help me!
    I am deeply disappointed and troubled that the non functional and defective version of the program has been released without proper warning about the known fault!
    For four days I was under the impression that I am the most stupid person around!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ivavcr View Post
    I am deeply disappointed and troubled that the non functional and defective version of the program has been released without proper warning about the known fault!
    The problem is a defective version of the flac library, which is not developed but used by the illustrate team. This problem does not show up for every user, but those with certain types of CPUs. So it isn't illustrate to blame.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

For four days I was under the impression that I am the most stupid person around!
    To be fair, your OP suggested you were not getting metadata in CD Ripper. This is not the same as your ripped flac files containing no tags.

To confirm, the problem is not with the dBpoweramp software, rather with the FLAC libraries version 1.3.2, which are not written by Illustrate, but by the developers of the flac codec. Illustrate did post about this issue in the News & Updates [Read Only] forum, months ago.

... OK, I see Dat Ei has just posted, so I am basically repeating what Dat Ei has just said
    Last edited by mville; 08-20-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: repeated info

Administrator

>rather with the FLAC libraries version 1.3.2

Which are the latest release for FLAC and have been for the last 2 years almost.

Forgive my ignorance. I was not aware that a different codec versions can influence metadata extraction/retrieval. To be honest, I do not know anything about codecs except that some are lossy and some are lossless. Some are more common and some are less common and I understand that the resulting files will end up being of a different size. That is the extent of my knowledge!
    I understand that my original posting may have been a bit confusing or misleading, probably because I am an ESL (English as a second language) speaker, so I may be lacking a proper clarity. In the post *6 I stated that the metadata in other two formats (Wave, MP3) I am ripping is fine. I was hoping that may offer some clue.
    Before posting on this forum I did some search using google to find out if the problem I was experiencing is a common one but did not find anything.
    About ">rather with the FLAC libraries version 1.3.2" we are discussing semantics here. I have no relationship with the FLAC codec developers but I purchased an upgrade for the program sold by Illustrate containing a version of the codec that does not work with certain CPU types. I turned out that I was among the unlucky .01%. Had I known the risk and the solution of the problem from the very beginning I would still opt for the upgrade but would have much less stressful experience at that. On a positive side, I learned that I should check the News section of the forum before placing an order.
    Anyway, I rest my case.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Ivavcr,

I was not aware that a different codec versions can influence metadata extraction/retrieval.
    The flac library problem is not a metadata extraction or metadata retrieval problem. The problem is, that those audio file are completely useless and contain no audio data at all. The small size of those files is just an indicator.

Dat Ei (an ESL too)

Thank you for clarification Dat Ei. I understand exactly what you mean (surprisingly). I assembled the last 3 or 4 computers (PC) I owned but software side was always my weak point.
    I am surprised that AMD Phenom (my CPU) is not compatible with that specific flac version.

dBpoweramp Guru

I understand that my original posting may have been a bit confusing or misleading, probably because I am an ESL (English as a second language) speaker, so I may be lacking a proper clarity. In the post *6 I stated that the metadata in other two formats (Wave, MP3) I am ripping is fine. I was hoping that may offer some clue.
    Before posting on this forum I did some search using google to find out if the problem I was experiencing is a common one but did not find anything.
    If you search these forums you will see that recently, there have been a few users with the exact same problem as you.

Yes, your post no. 6 did offer some clues and we were able to get to the bottom of the problem in a couple of days, but still you posted that you were deeply disappointed and troubled . I was sorry to hear that, as we tried our best to help you.

mville, I thanked you for your effort and help and I was not sarcastic while doing that. It was a genuine statement. I did not know if you are a part of the Illustrate or just a member of the forum.
    The simple solution to avoid situation like the one I encountered would be to offer a note or a link on the order page telling you if a) does not work try b). Very simple! That would not hurt a reputation of the company. Quite to the contrary! People who encounter a problem with a product are much more vocal than the people who are happy with it. By the way, I was not trying to bring you (Illustrate) any bad publicity.
    At 64, working full time, I do not have much energy or time left after work to study the forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

mville, I thanked you for your effort and help and I was not sarcastic while doing that. It was a genuine statement. I did not know if you are a part of the Illustrate or just a member of the forum.
    I am just a member of the forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

The simple solution to avoid situation like the one I encountered would be to offer a note or a link on the order page telling you if a) does not work try b). Very simple! That would not hurt a reputation of the company. Quite to the contrary! People who encounter a problem with a product are much more vocal than the people who are happy with it. By the way, I was not trying to bring you (Illustrate) any bad publicity.
    At 64, working full time, I do not have much energy or time left after work to study the forum.
    I agree, that would be ideal, but I have yet to encounter any software company in the world offering solutions to problems/bugs on their order pages. Imagine the enormity of such an order page if it were Microsoft or Apple (no one would ever order their software)!! As I already mentioned, at least Illustrate has these support forums (especially the News & Updates [Read Only] forum), were issues are posted for end users.
    Last edited by mville; 08-21-2018 at 06:28 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

One of what I consider to be a serious fault with the latest versions of dBpoweramp using FLAC 1.3.2 is incompatibility with 64-bit AMD Core 2 processors. NO tags are written if you leave the compression level at 5 (default). You may not have this issue, but you might try compression level 3 which seems to work in my HP xw9400 workstation with dual AMD Opteron 64 processors.

These workstations were in the neighborhood of $5000 when new. This one has 32GB of RAM and an SSD root drive. You'd think it'd fly right through a rip. As it is, it's fast but the files are about 4.5% to 5% larger—not a lot for one album but when you have 6TB of FLAC files, you hate to waste 5% unnecessarily.

d2b ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Dennis,

Quote Originally Posted by d2b View Post
    One of what I consider to be a serious fault with the latest versions of dBpoweramp using FLAC 1.3.2 is incompatibility with 64-bit AMD Core 2 processors. NO tags are written if you leave the compression level at 5 (default). You may not have this issue, but you might try compression level 3 which seems to work in my HP xw9400 workstation with dual AMD Opteron 64 processors.
    do you see no metadata in the flac files or no audio data at all (small file size)? The latter is a problem of the latest release version of the flac library, which is deployed but not developed by Illustrate.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

Hi Spoon....

The first link above was truncated, i.e. missing some of the text. Can you somehow post the full text of that link? I appears from what you said preceding it that it will remove (clear) ALL settings, which in light of the issues involved with FLAC 1.3.2, sounds like a good idea.

Is there a difference between the second link and any other "normal" way to obtain a fresh version of a registered download?

I ask these questions because I want to "downgrade" our machines to v.16.2 with FLAC 1.3.1 codec and do it right, just to ensure no issues with versions using FLAC 1.3.2 on systems.

Thanks...

Dennis, aka "d2b"