title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Naming convention, what has gone wrong ?

Naming convention, what has gone wrong ?

Hi all, after a recent computer disaster (motherboard died) I had to revert to a laptop that we have (not new but newer than the departed PC). I reinstalled dB version 14 and set up naming convention of \\[album artist]\[album]\[track]-[title] as it was previously. I ripped a copy of Nick Drake, Bryter Later and Nick Drake appeared in the artist list in my QNAP nas. However, when opening up the artist folder, instead of giving the album title, it says Nick Drake.
    Can anyone please advise what I'm doing wrong.
    Many thanks
    John

Administrator

Re: Naming convention, what has gone wrong ?

You can browse the nas using windows file explorer to see the layout, if the files are in the correct location.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Hi all, after a recent computer disaster (motherboard died) I had to revert to a laptop that we have (not new but newer than the departed PC). I reinstalled dB version 14 and set up naming convention of \\[album artist]\[album]\[track]-[title] as it was previously. I ripped a copy of Nick Drake, Bryter Later and Nick Drake appeared in the artist list in my QNAP nas. However, when opening up the artist folder, instead of giving the album title, it says Nick Drake.
    Can anyone please advise what I'm doing wrong.
    Many thanks
    John
    have you looked at the tags of that album to make sure the album name didn't somehow end up being given the value "Nick Drake".

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can browse the nas using windows file explorer to see the layout, if the files are in the correct location.
    Hi Spoon, thanks for your reply. The artist file 'Nick Drake' is where I would expect it NAS shows artists in alphabetical order. It's when I open the artist folder when it should say 'Bryter Later', it just says Nick Drake again (tracks are there). The naming convention is what I've used before so I cannot understand why this is happening. Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    have you looked at the tags of that album to make sure the album name didn't somehow end up being given the value "Nick Drake".
    Hi Gary, according to the id tag info, the album is Bryter Later. May it be something in the initial set up that I've got wrong ?.thanks, John.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary, according to the id tag info, the album is Bryter Later. May it be something in the initial set up that I've got wrong ?.thanks, John.
    copy and paste your exact naming string into a post here. thanks.

Hi Gary, as requested

\\[album artist]\[album]\[title]-[track]

A thought occurs, could this be a Twonky issue ?. May Asset sort this ?

Many thanks

John

dBpoweramp Guru

as requested

In CD Ripper, the default Naming string is:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Your naming string is very basic and also begins with 2 backslash characters (\\). I would consider using the default or revising your naming string.

Administrator

If using UPNP then the filename is not used normally for browsing, Asset might help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary, as requested

Many thanks

John
    Perhaps I misunderstand. It's not clear to me why music server matters at all here. I thought that when you look at the folders in say, windows explorer, that the album folder underneath artist folder has the wrong name.

Administrator

I suspect the browsing is done in the UPnP control point, not Windows explorer.