title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: installation failure Asset uPnP Premium on QNAP NAS TS-221

installation failure Asset uPnP Premium on QNAP NAS TS-221

Hi,

I was trying to update from Asset uPnP trial v6.1 to the Premium version.
    Like suggested, I removed the trial, restarted and manually tried to install the premium version.
    I don't succeed in installing it. Nor does it make a log.
    The NAS is a QNAP TS-221, arm based...

What could be the problem here?

A while back I was able to install the trial version. But I don't remember if there was a QTS update on the NAS in between former installation and today's version.

Some support would be appreciated?

Thanx!

Administrator

Re: installation failure Asset uPnP Premium on QNAP NAS TS-221

Nope.

The (manual) installer on the TS-221 stops immediatly when clicking the OK button for installation.
    Still not logging, like nothing happened...
    I just payed 30 euro, so it would be nice to see it work

Last edited by mrbadmf; 08-09-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Super Moderator

"This video is unavailable." says youtube.

Can you SSH to your QNAP device and run the .qpkg manually? It runs like a Linux executable on a QNAP system, installing its payload.

What if you reboot the QNAP device?

The trial/registered versions are built together, from the same Asset binaries, using the same tools, so it's virtually impossible that one of them works and the other does not.

Also there's no need to uninstall old version prior to the installation of new. In fact it is recommended to install over, so you can use trial/beta to upgrade registered to a newer version while retaining registered status.

Hi Peter,

I changed the video's settings. It just demonstrates what happens if I want to install the Asset qpkg.
    Really nothing. Nothing to find...
    Neither the trial nor the premium version seems to succeed.
    I don't understand. A while back I installed the trial/free version...

I still need your help please...

Thanx,

Luc

Super Moderator

Thanks for the info.
    Indeed it looks like the QPKG does not install on your device. Which implies that it is a problem with QPKG packaging process rather than Asset program itself. I'll get back to you with some alternate QPKGs to try soon.

Thank you very much!

Additional info:
    TS-221
    Firmware version:4.3.3.0628
    Datum:2018/07/25
    Last edited by mrbadmf; 08-19-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Super Moderator

Sorry about the delay. Here are some alternate versions of Asset for you to try:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/Asset_R6.2b6-new.qpkg [latest, rebuilt with different QNAP tools revision]
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/Asset_6_trial.qpkg [old version]

Please report if either of them works, most importantly the first one.
    It will function as the trial version. Once we get this issue sorted out, we'll be promoting Asset R6.2 to stable soon so a registered version will be available shortly.

No prob for the delay
    Tried both the alternate versions you linked.
    None of them worked. Still that same issue...

Firmware version is now: 4.3.3.0644
    Datum: 2018/08/10

Super Moderator

Just to rule out that some recent change on our side caused it, here are some obscenely old versions of Asset that I dug up:
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/Asse...2b1_trial.qpkg
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/Asset_5.1.1_trial.qpkg
    Does either of the above work?

Have you tried rebooting the NAS?

My primary QNAP is already on firmware 4.3.4, can you check for firmware updates to see if there's anything newer?

And finally, if none of the above helps:
    Can you log into the NAS with SSH, enter a folder containing Asset QPKG and run the QPKG manually through SSH (as a plain executable) to see what it says?

I can't go to 4.3.4. The latest firmware version for TS-221 is 4.3.3.0644, installed 23 aug 2018. It is ARM based.
    No matter wich version, the result is always the same.

So I chose your final solution.
    I succeeded in SSH to install the Asset_R6.2b6-new.qpkg.
    So I tried again with SSH to install Asset-premium.qpkg, and oh wonder... It installed! :D It runs now 6.1.

I don't know if proper installation of newer version(s) will succeed in the future via Qnap App center.
    So maybe you still may find the solution?

How about future updates? Will I get a notification? Or do I need to check once in a while?

Already a big thanx for the support. I'm glad to have the Asset uPnP running again!
    Kind regards, Luc

Super Moderator

Thanks for the reply and for taking the effort to install over SSH. Sounds like the app center is bugged and that's it. As far as I know, running the QPKG via SSH is just as good as using the app center.

Asset isn't available via QNAP store so it does not auto update via the app center. You will have to check for new versions manually.
    You can just grab any newer QPKG and update by running it via SSH, without uninstalling the old one first. Note that installing newer beta/trial QPKG on top of premium/registered will always retain the registered status.

... you've probably just saved me 200EUR on buying this exact QNAP to investigate the bug, I already have an impressive collection of QNAPs, some bought only to dissect a specific issue....

Thumbs up Re: installation failure Asset uPnP Premium on QNAP NAS TS-221

Reinstalled the QTS OS.
    Retried the Qnap App center on the QTS for installing the Asset uPnP.
    It doesn't work, I assume there's definitely a problem with the app center for non-Qnap packages...

Before I contacted you, I already contacted Qnap about the problem.
    Ticket: Asset uPnP installation failure (FDA-551-55461).
    Explanation as follows:
    "Hi Luc,
    There are always security patches or bug fixes implemented in every new QNAP firmware release. Thus, the built-in libraries or codes could be modified. It is possible that the updated libraries are not compatible with the 3rd party apps and lead to the 3rd party apps failure after firmware upgrade. However, such issue still needs the 3rd party app developer to investigate and fix their own app. Please understand, thank you.
    Best Regards
    Vincent Tseng
    QNAP Systems, Inc."

Is it possible for you to contact Qnap with the ticket ref and explain to them the problem that is occurring?
    I guess this problem can affect other Qnap systems if they want to install Asset uPnp.
    I'm not that technical about linux packages.
    I was lucky enough to have worked with a unix system some years back, so with a little googling I was able to go with your explanation
    I will respond too at the Qnap ticket, and tell them I succeeded with SSH to install the package.

Thanx again for your professional support!
    Last edited by mrbadmf; 08-25-2018 at 11:39 AM.