title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes. If the work-PC plays flac albums from the C: drive without issues, but as stated earlier, you have issues playing from the external-HD, then this implies you have a problem with the external-HD.
    Hi mville,

I have been playing one of the tracks from Miles Davis's: 'Miles On The Corner' on my PC and this time from the C:drive, as you kindly suggest. It has been looping for around half an hour and so far encountering zero glitches. I will keep it going for another ten mins or so (as it's starting to drive me a bit mad now!).

Paul

EDIT: suspect track played fine looped for 45 mins.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    OK, so last night listened, for the 4th time now, to Miles Davis's: 'Miles On The Corner' - on my Sony Walkman and new SD-card - and this time there WAS one glitch! It happened on a track it had never occurred on before. I immediately wound back the track, but then it continued playing through without the glitch occurring again.

I was listening, as I was on the previous 3 occasions, via my headphones in 'bluetooth' mode.
    So, it could be a Bluetooth issue. To rule this out, try with wired headphones.

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, so last night listened, for the 4th time now, to Miles Davis's: 'Miles On The Corner' - on my Sony Walkman and new SD-card - and this time there WAS one glitch! It happened on a track it had never occurred on before. I immediately wound back the track, but then it continued playing through without the glitch occurring again.

I was listening, as I was on the previous 3 occasions, via my headphones in 'bluetooth' mode.
    I think you’ve clearly proven that your files are good. That’s good!

dBpoweramp Guru

I have been playing one of the tracks from Miles Davis's: 'Miles On The Corner' on my PC and this time from the C:drive, as you kindly suggest. It has been looping for around half an hour and so far encountering zero glitches. I will keep it going for another ten mins or so (as it's starting to drive me a bit mad now!).
    Yes, this is as I expect, no problem with the flacs or with foobar2000.

However, it does imply an issue with the external-HD, though this is is not absolutely certain here, as there may have been other software/processes (e.g. anti-virus, security, backup software etc.) that interfered, when it last glitched.

dBpoweramp Guru

Wink Re: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

Ha ha, now why did I think you might say that!? lol
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Wink Re: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I think you&*8217;ve clearly proven that your files are good. That&*8217;s good!
    Phew!

Thank you kind sir! ;-)
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, this is as I expect, no problem with the flacs or with foobar2000.

However, it does imply an issue with the external-HD, though this is is not absolutely certain here, as there may have been other software/processes (e.g. anti-virus, security, backup software etc.) that interfered, when it last glitched.
    Hi mville,

I did run a 'quick' and 'full' scan on the external_HD using Western Digital's very own 'diagnostics tool'. The later took 7 hours. Anyway, it came out with flying colours.

Incidentally, I removed 'MalwareBytes' from my PC last month. Though circa 80% of my rips were made whilst it was installed.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

mville,

I tried the Miles Davis album on the Sony Walkman last night, and using 'wired' connection, and it played fine. I will try exactly the same tonight ...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I tried the Miles Davis album on the Sony Walkman last night, and using 'wired' connection, and it played fine. I will try exactly the same tonight ...
    The album played fine for a 2nd time last night using a 'wired' headphone connection with the Walkman.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Most of those scheduled tasks can simply be removed, (You really don't care about those irritating pop-ups that appear telling you that Itunes has a new version...) or the task schedule can be modified (by you) so it only runs when your machine has been idle for some period of time and stops running if your machine is no longer idle; or can be modified to run at 3:00 AM instead of 8:27 PM.

Another thought, since it is a USB drive: Have you tried using a different USB port on your machine? A different USB cable? I've seen issues where some USB ports on computers were unreliable for playing streams because some other task inside the computer was hogging the hardware interfacing that USP port. Also USB cables, particularly USB3 cables, are notorious for not making good connections with the connectors on the computer. The USB3 connector design is far from rugged.
    Hi schmidj,

I have turned off quite a lot of items in the 'start up menu', and disabled as many 'notifications' as I can. But that is all. Win_10 seems to be very evasive an that it can try to do what it wants to do, when it wants to do it! I asked MicroSoft if they could disable all and any AUTO-UPDATES, but they said this is not possible; hence I try to keep this PC offline as much as I can.

One thing I was wondering, please - and this may be totally unrelated but I thought I would mention it purely for the sake of ticking another box - is that a user is able to set how long a period of time lapses before ones 'drives' go to sleep. My 'Western Digital' goes to sleep after about 10 mins of inactivity, and my C: drive the same. So, unless I am listening to music, the 'Western Digital' external-HD is always asleep. It is slow, in my opinion, in waking up. The device is mains-powered. Anyway, would you ever set the 'sleep' timer to permanently OFF?; so that the drives are always running? I am not sure if this would make any different though, and also I think such a setting can be detrimental to a devices health.

If the playback skipping/glitch issue persists then I will look into replacing the USB lead. However, I can confirm that Port *4 is used more or less exclusively for the 'Western Digital' external-HD, and is pretty much always connected.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-14-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

mville,

The "Miles On The Corner" album played fine for a 3rd time last night using a 'wired' headphone connection with the Walkman yesterday evening. As always, I will test again shortly...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

mville,

The "Miles On The Corner" album played fine for a 3rd time last night using a 'wired' headphone connection with the Walkman yesterday evening. As always, I will test again shortly...

Paul
    Why. You've confirmed 3 times that with wired headphones it plays through fine. So its not the files and its not the headphones and its not the server. At this point, it seems that only your bluetooth headphones are at fault. And "blips" I've found are not uncommon with bluetooth. (as an aside, if you're doing quality listening, why use bluetooth. Bluetooth is LOSSY so you're going to all this trouble just to listen to compressed lossy versions of your files caused by the bluetooth transmission????

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Why. You've confirmed 3 times that with wired headphones it plays through fine. So its not the files and its not the headphones and its not the server. At this point, it seems that only your bluetooth headphones are at fault. And "blips" I've found are not uncommon with bluetooth. (as an aside, if you're doing quality listening, why use bluetooth. Bluetooth is LOSSY so you're going to all this trouble just to listen to compressed lossy versions of your files caused by the bluetooth transmission????
    Because when I am out walking I always use bluetooth. I find it very liberating to not have (as I use to have to put up with) a lead trailing from the device inside my coat pocket to the phones. I never thought it bothered me that much but now I have gotten rid of it, I could never go back to having it!

Secondly, I can honestly only hear the difference in the 'quality' of the audio - when A/B comparing 'wired' to 'non-wired' - when I am listening to music indoors and in the quiet. Outside, there is too much background noise to be able to tell the difference (even with 'noise-cancellation'). In fact I would be totally astounded if anyone COULD hear any difference when walking the streets or listening on a (say) train.

dBpoweramp Guru

Because when I am out walking I always use bluetooth. I find it very liberating to not have (as I use to have to put up with) a lead trailing from the device inside my coat pocket to the phones. I never thought it bothered me that much but now I have gotten rid of it, I could never go back to having it!
    Personally, I would find the glitching audio far more annoying than a trailing wire.

dBpoweramp Guru

Secondly, I can honestly only hear the difference in the 'quality' of the audio - when A/B comparing 'wired' to 'non-wired' - when I am listening to music indoors and in the quiet. Outside, there is too much background noise to be able to tell the difference (even with 'noise-cancellation'). In fact I would be totally astounded if anyone COULD hear any difference when walking the streets or listening on a (say) train.
    got it. I was under the mistaken assumption that your primary listening setup was via bluetooth headphones and walkman. I too use less than optimum listening setups and an iphone during exercise, traveling in autos, planes, etc.