title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

Hi folks,

Rather than tag this on to an existing thread, I thought it wiser the create a fresh one as the problem many not be related to any issues of a similar type of which I have raised before.

Here is a LINK to a folder in My-Drive of which I will discuss the contents tomorrow:

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

(... *to create ...)

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Paul,

simple question: are you allowed to distribute that music?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Strange Goings On! (PerfTunes/Foobar/Ripped FLACs)

Hi,

I am finding, as I gradually work my way through some of the 500 CDs which I have ripped to date, that some of the playbacks are occasionally skipping/jumping (for circa 1 second). By this I mean the CD plays fine for a period, but then it suddenly either goes silent for a second, or sounds akin to a scratched record; before resuming back to perfect playback.

It has taken me a few days to try and perform something of a process-of-elimination, but I can confirm that it has happened on my work-PC (using foobar) via an external-HD, and also my Amazon Fire (using foobar) via an SD-card. I did believe (and Garym confirmed my suspicions) that it was related to the fact that - when using my Amazon Fire - I was listening through my new Sony wireless headphones (ie. the problem was caused by bluetooth drop-outs); but I can now confirm that I the problem happens when playing my laptop through my speakers also.

Thus, I have run multiple scans using PerfectTunes (for all 5 storage devices housing my FLACs) and the results have come back unchanged and how I would expect them to be (ie. circa 30 albums have 'errors'). But none of these 'errors' correspond to the albums containing the playback-errors I am experiencing on my Amazon Fire and laptop. I cleared the cache in PerfTunes and the same results came back. Now I have uninstalled/reinstalled PerfTunes twice and there is still no change.

I have wracked my brain as to what the issue me be. I keep my laptop offline most the time so I am sure I don't have a virus. All of my s/w is paid-for (ie. not 'crack').

Therefore, I wondered, please, if someone might be kind enough to run a PerfTunes scan on one of the albums (Miles On The Corner) I have been experiencing such playback issues on (see LINK to My-Drive above). It seems to be mostly on tracks: 4 & 7 (Vote For Miles & Helen Butte). I would be extremely grateful if a member could clarify which results they achieve from PerfTunes scan; as I have no other way (ie PC) to perform this on now. It has taken me 2 weeks to get this far and now I have kinda hit a brick-wall!

Very much appreciated as always,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-08-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    simple question: are you allowed to distribute that music?
    Hello Dat Ei,

Fair point and one I had not considered from that perspective.

But to answer your comment, I would say that judging by the fact only a small regular handful of members visit my threads (and of these people everyone seems very honest and ethical), I do not anticipate there being 1,000s of d/ls from the above LINK. And, once the issue has been resolved, I would simply remove the LINK and files from My-Drive.

If the files ARE corrupted (which I am seriously praying they are not) then whoever has d/l the album - thinking they have scored an album for 'free' - will simply have 8 x tracks of bad-rips!

I sincerely do hope I have not broken any forum rules here, and I do apologize should anyone feel I have been inconsiderate in any shape or form (as this was truly not my intention).

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-08-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Breaking forum rules is one thing. Breaking copyrights is a different story completely. At the moment you distribute that copyright protected music all over the world. Everyone can download that music without exception. Don't be surprised if you'll receive an unwanted letter in the near future.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I have run multiple scans using PerfectTunes (for all 5 storage devices housing my FLACs) and the results have come back unchanged and how I would expect them to be (ie. circa 30 albums have 'errors'). But none of these 'errors' correspond to the albums containing the playback-errors I am experiencing on my Amazon Fire and laptop. I cleared the cache in PerfTunes and the same results came back. Now I have uninstalled/reinstalled PerfTunes twice and there is still no change.
    Why not run Test Conversion on your flacs, rather than PerfectTUNES?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Why not run Test Conversion on your flacs, rather than PerfectTUNES?
    Thanks Mville. I have never used Test Conversion before. Is it within PerfTunes, please?; as I could not locate it. Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

"Test Conversion" is a encoder within Music Converter and Batch Converter.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thus, I have run multiple scans using PerfectTunes (for all 5 storage devices housing my FLACs) and the results have come back unchanged and how I would expect them to be (ie. circa 30 albums have 'errors'). But none of these 'errors' correspond to the albums containing the playback-errors I am experiencing on my Amazon Fire and laptop. I cleared the cache in PerfTunes and the same results came back. Now I have uninstalled/reinstalled PerfTunes twice and there is still no change.
    As I understand, you have 30 albums with known errors. You are not asking about those.

But then you have other albums that PerfectTUNES says are accurately ripped, yet you are experiencing playback errors with those albums?

It seems to be mostly on tracks: 4 & 7 (Vote For Miles & Helen Butte).
    Do the playback errors repeat themselves at the very same timings, or do they happen randomly?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I cleared the cache in PerfTunes and the same results came back. Now I have uninstalled/reinstalled PerfTunes twice and there is still no change.
    You seem worried about caching in PerfectTunes, but I don't think it occurs. If you are concerned, try CueTools for a second opinion from a different database.

Therefore, I wondered, please, if someone might be kind enough to run a PerfTunes scan on one of the albums (Miles On The Corner)
    I'm guessing that you have checked this particular album with PerfectTUNES yourself, and it came out error-free? If so there's really no need to upload your album for others to check, the result would be the same for others too.
    Last edited by vilsen; 08-08-2018 at 01:33 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Thanks (I am very stressed over this!).

In TEST CONVERSION, do I select "Highest Quality Mode", and which "Speed Limit", please?

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    As I understand, you have 30 albums with known errors. You are not asking about those.

But then you have other albums that PerfectTUNES says are accurately ripped, yet you are experiencing playback errors with those albums?

Do the playback errors repeat themselves at the very same timings, or do they happen randomly?
    Hi Vilsen,

Yes, 30 x albums can be disregarded here, thanks.

I then have around 450 (140GB) albums for which PerfTunes states are 'accurately' ripped. However, I am experiencing issues (during playback) with some of the FLACs from this category. I have not listened to them all as there are simply too many! But I am trying to work my way through the Miles CDs.

I will try to answer you as clearly as I can (without making it complicated!). On, for instance, Miles Davis's 'Miles On The Corner', I seem to get 1 or 2 jumps (call them what you will) per album play. So, each time I listen to the album there are 1 or 2 audible glitches. SOMETIMES it CAN be the same track and at the same point (as far as I can tell) - such as with tracks: 4 & 7 ('Vote For Miles' & 'Helen Butte') as per post No.3 above. But then at other times a new glitch can appear as a one-off.

They are not bluetooth drop-outs (as I had hoped!).

I was wondering if the issue may lie with foobar?; as this is my choice of music app player on both devices.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    You seem worried about caching in PerfectTunes, but I don't think it occurs. If you are concerned, try CueTools for a second opinion from a different database.

I'm guessing that you have checked this particular album with PerfectTUNES yourself, and it came out error-free? If so there's really no need to upload your album for others to check, the result would be the same for others too.
    Vilsen,

I cleared cache in PerfTunes every time before I ran a scan. And also reinstalled it a couple of times just to eliminate any other possibilities.

I thought it may a good idea to have another member kindly run a separate check just in case (worst case scenario!) my PC was not running correctly (eg. the OS [Win_10] was corrupted); and that this matter was affecting the functionality, and reliability, of all s/w I was running (eg. PerfTunes, foobar, etc).

Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-08-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Have you tried playing songs from your hard drive instead of an SD card.