title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Guru

Question Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Hi folks,

I will be posting some questions here this week relating to the STYLES of classical music I have tagged since purchasing 'dBpa' last July. Hopefully I might attract some assistance from some more 'experienced' classical buffs!

Thanks a lot,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

I'm no expert, but Classical music is organised into periods and I often see variations in respect to these periods.

You might want to start by reading something like this: Classical music

or this: Classical Music Periods

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I'm no expert, but Classical music is organised into periods and I often see variations in respect to these periods.

You might want to start by reading something like this: Classical music

or this: Classical Music Periods
    Thanks Mville,

I will take a look ...

Paul

EDIT: As I thought might be the case - and is the very reason for me opening a new thread - is that some of the STYLES I have created are not actually listed as being 'periods/eras', simply because they are not, strictly speaking. For instance, 'Minimalism' (eg. Steve Reich) is a term for a particular form of composition/process, but it is not a recognized as being a 'period' (I mean, we do not verbally say: "this is a piece of music from the 'Minimalist' period!").
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville,

I did originally plan to use PERIOD tags - as you correct suggest - last year when I first began ripping; albeit exclusively for CLASSICALs. However, because I used STYLE tags for every other type of music/CD and, of course, PERIOD is not really applicable to: country/Xmas/popular/etc, I decided to do away with it in favour of STYLE (right across the board).

In addition to this, I did not want to have 2/3 of my CD collection having GENRE/STYLE tags, and the remaining 1/3 having GENRE/PERIOD. Also, I had/have no idea if all playback-devices support PERIOD?, as they DO the STYLE tag.

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

To get the ball rolling, here is a list of the STYLES (which I view as being SUB-GENRES) of my CLASSICALs:

Avant-Garde
    Baroque
    Brazillian
    English Chamber
    Experimental
    First Viennese
    Free
    Hungarian Folk
    Impressionism
    Indeterminacy
    Intuitive
    Minimalism
    Modernism
    Neoromantic
    Neoromantic
    Post-Modernism
    Process
    Religious
    Romantic
    Russian Orthodoxy
    Second Viennese School
    Serial
    20th Century

All of these come under either the GENRE of: CHORAL or CLASSICAL. The reason I have created this thread is to seek some help, please, in making sure I have placed the correct COMPOSERS within the correct STYLE; and to see if I can whittle down the amount of STYLES I currently have (I am sure there are 2 or 3 which can be moved/substituted).

Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Mville,

I did originally plan to use PERIOD tags - as you correct suggest - last year when I first began ripping; albeit exclusively for CLASSICALs. However, because I used STYLE tags for every other type of music/CD and, of course, PERIOD is not really applicable to: country/Xmas/popular/etc, I decided to do away with it in favour of STYLE (right across the board).

In addition to this, I did not want to have 2/3 of my CD collection having GENRE/STYLE tags, and the remaining 1/3 having GENRE/PERIOD. Also, I had/have no idea if all playback-devices support PERIOD?, as they DO the STYLE tag.

Cheers.
    Does your Sony display Style / Period?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I have charged it up now. I am finishing of the final batch of corrections; then I will test out the SD-card inside it ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Oggy,

I am waiting from Sony Tech. Support to get back to me later this week concerning the maximum GB size of SD-card I am able to use with the Walkman. Hence, I won't be able to fully answer your question until then. But right off the bat, I can see that it supports: Genre, Artist, Album. Maybe other categories appear if and when you have organised/utilized your files/folders on the SD-card to incorporate such additional tags?

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling