title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Hi,

I am still stuck with certain aspects concerning classifications within the genre of 'classical' music.

At the moment I have these albums tagged as:

GENRE = Choral

STYLE = Religious

Please see screenshot:

I find this works reasonably OK (I have yet to add: Haydn's 'Creation' and Bach's 'Mass In B Minor' - and will be placing them also under: GENRE = 'Choral' and STYLE = 'Religious'). However (do correct me if I am wrong!), I believe Bach's 'Mass In B Minor' is actually an ORATORIO, and therefore would I be favourite in creating such a new GENRE? (making it: GENRE = 'Oratorio' and STYLE = 'Religious'). Would that be correct?

Secondly, what do I do with Wagner's 'Tristan & Isolde', please?:

I don't think this is at all 'religious' and it is an opera. So here, would I need to create a new GENRE (ie. 'Opera')?; and what, please, would I use for STYLE?

All these questions; hence is taking me around 3 days per CD at the moment!

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-19-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

btw - does this forum have a new GUI now?!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    btw - does this forum have a new GUI now?!
    Certainly looks that way!

This look is a lot more modern, and a much cleaner. With a couple of new products, this new design makes it easier for tired eyes to navigate the site.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

I am still stuck with certain aspects concerning classifications within the genre of 'classical' music.

At the moment I have these albums tagged as:

GENRE = Choral

STYLE = Religious

Please see screenshot:

I find this works reasonably OK (I have yet to add: Haydn's 'Creation' and Bach's 'Mass In B Minor' - and will be placing them also under: GENRE = 'Choral' and STYLE = 'Religious'). However (do correct me if I am wrong!), I believe Bach's 'Mass In B Minor' is actually an ORATORIO, and therefore would I be favourite in creating such a new GENRE? (making it: GENRE = 'Oratorio' and STYLE = 'Religious'). Would that be correct?

Secondly, what do I do with Wagner's 'Tristan & Isolde', please?:

I don't think this is at all 'religious' and it is an opera. So here, would I need to create a new GENRE (ie. 'Opera')?; and what, please, would I use for STYLE?

All these questions; hence is taking me around 3 days per CD at the moment!

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

With Genre / Style, I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer, simply because of the size and make up of an individual's music collection.

If someone has a small Classical collection, then a simple Genre - Classical makes sense. With a big Opera section, then Genre Opera gives a very handy search option.

If you have a number of choral pieces, then Choral / Religious seems logical to me. Personally I wouldn't use another Genre of say, Oratorio, unless I had several such pieces. BUT, we are creating personal libraries, so what seems logical to you may not make any sense to anyone else and what makes sense to me, may not make sense to anyone else.

Opera is a Genre that makes sense to use, if you have several, and I guess you could call Tristan Und Isolde a romance. The only reason that I would use Genre - Opera, is to easily pull up all operas.

Rather than delaying ripping, I would tend to rip using a genetic Genre and Style, and re-tag later if something seems more appropriate, or would save time.

Choices!!
    Last edited by Oggy; 10-20-2018 at 06:08 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    This look is a lot more modern, and a much cleaner. With a couple of new products, this new design makes it easier for tired eyes to navigate the site.
    I actually preferred the older design, which I found to be easier on the eye. I can't even tell if the green 'active' icon is on/off confirming that members are on or offline. But it's horses for courses.

Why does this site not allow for members to upload an avatar, might you know?

dBpoweramp Guru

With Genre / Style, I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer, simply because of the size and make up of an individual's music collection.

If someone has a small Classical collection, then a simple Genre - Classical makes sense. With a big Opera section, then Genre Opera gives a very handy search option.

If you have a number of choral pieces, then Choral / Religious seems logical to me. Personally I wouldn't use another Genre of say, Oratorio, unless I had several such pieces. BUT, we are creating personal libraries, so what seems logical to you may not make any sense to anyone else and what makes sense to me, may not make sense to anyone else.

Opera is a Genre that makes sense to use, if you have several, and I guess you could call Tristan Und Isolde a romance. The only reason that I would use Genre - Opera, is to easily pull up all operas.

Rather than delaying ripping, I would tend to rip using a genetic Genre and Style, and re-tag later if something seems more appropriate, or would save time.
    Thanks a lot Oggy,

Classical makes up a good 25% of my collection.

I only have two OPERA CDs (Wagner's 'Tristan & Isolde' and Cimarosa's 'The Secret Marriage'). Having considered your helpful advice, I would like to create an 'opera' GENRE. But, what should I use for STYLE, please? Would you use 'Romance'? My reason for not using the latter would be that have have many (classical) STYLES listed under 'Romantic'.

And , regarding the likes of Bach's 'Mass In B Minor', it's probably best to nudge these within the: GENRE = Chroal; STYLE = Religious, folders.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

As you may remember, I simply ignore Style,because unlike Foobar you have to delve in a couple of pages to find the tag.

The Bach makes perfect sense if you are using Genre = Choral, whilst Romantic to me is more Period, but I ignore that too! Does it really matter if you have many listed under Romantic?

dBpoweramp Guru

The Bach makes perfect sense if you are using Genre = Choral, whilst Romantic to me is more Period, but I ignore that too! Does it really matter if you have many listed under Romantic?
    Yes, 'Romantic' does, fundamentally, apply to 'Period'(which I don't use). Personally, I would not like to have 'Romantic' as a STYLE for OPERA. And so, I was thinking, instead, of using:

Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-20-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

I made a decision in the end (as it was driving me mad!).

For Wagner's 'Tristan & Isolde' I used:

GENRE = Classical

Style = Opera

Job done!

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I am now ripping Cimarosa's 'The Secret Marriage' which is an opera:

But I am not sure if this would be: Baroque, Neapolitan School, or something else? It seems (as does Cimarosa) to be termed as a handful of different periods/styles?

Thanks a lot.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I wanted to ask, please, which GENRE/STYLE would you place the music of the 'Phillip Jones Brass Ensemble' in?:

Obviously it's 'classical' music, but I am not sure where it falls within the respective 'cub-categorys'? This is the CD I am ripping:

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-26-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul,

Why not just use Classical / Opera for Cimarosa, the same as Wagner and Philip Jones, Classical / Brass?

dBpoweramp Guru

Philip Jones, Classical / Brass?
    I was looking through the 'PJBE' CD and I realized I had missed an obvious point; the CD is entitled: "The 20th Century Album"! And so I think I will tag it as: Classical/20th Century. Much of the writing on this CD is 'modern' and so I feel this term would fit suffice.

dBpoweramp Guru

Why not just use Classical / Opera for Cimarosa
    After much faffing around I decided to go with: Opera/Baroque in the end.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-27-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

A bit of a back to basics question I know!, but, as regards to SORT, what would be the best way the tag the ARTIST/ALBUMARTIST:

Philip Jones Brass Ensemble

I have never tagged a 'classical' CD where the ensemble's title includes the founder's name.

Jones Brass Ensemble, Philip?

Jones, Philip, Brass Ensemble?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-02-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling