title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Hi folks,

I will be posting some questions here this week relating to the STYLES of classical music I have tagged since purchasing 'dBpa' last July. Hopefully I might attract some assistance from some more 'experienced' classical buffs!

Thanks a lot,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

I'm no expert, but Classical music is organised into periods and I often see variations in respect to these periods.

You might want to start by reading something like this: Classical music

or this: Classical Music Periods

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tagging - STYLES within CLASSICAL GENRE (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I'm no expert, but Classical music is organised into periods and I often see variations in respect to these periods.

You might want to start by reading something like this: Classical music

or this: Classical Music Periods
    Thanks Mville,

I will take a look ...

Paul

EDIT: As I thought might be the case - and is the very reason for me opening a new thread - is that some of the STYLES I have created are not actually listed as being 'periods/eras', simply because they are not, strictly speaking. For instance, 'Minimalism' (eg. Steve Reich) is a term for a particular form of composition/process, but it is not a recognized as being a 'period' (I mean, we do not verbally say: "this is a piece of music from the 'Minimalist' period!").
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville,

I did originally plan to use PERIOD tags - as you correct suggest - last year when I first began ripping; albeit exclusively for CLASSICALs. However, because I used STYLE tags for every other type of music/CD and, of course, PERIOD is not really applicable to: country/Xmas/popular/etc, I decided to do away with it in favour of STYLE (right across the board).

In addition to this, I did not want to have 2/3 of my CD collection having GENRE/STYLE tags, and the remaining 1/3 having GENRE/PERIOD. Also, I had/have no idea if all playback-devices support PERIOD?, as they DO the STYLE tag.

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

To get the ball rolling, here is a list of the STYLES (which I view as being SUB-GENRES) of my CLASSICALs:

Avant-Garde
    Baroque
    Brazillian
    English Chamber
    Experimental
    First Viennese
    Free
    Hungarian Folk
    Impressionism
    Indeterminacy
    Intuitive
    Minimalism
    Modernism
    Neoromantic
    Neoromantic
    Post-Modernism
    Process
    Religious
    Romantic
    Russian Orthodoxy
    Second Viennese School
    Serial
    20th Century

All of these come under either the GENRE of: CHORAL or CLASSICAL. The reason I have created this thread is to seek some help, please, in making sure I have placed the correct COMPOSERS within the correct STYLE; and to see if I can whittle down the amount of STYLES I currently have (I am sure there are 2 or 3 which can be moved/substituted).

Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Mville,

I did originally plan to use PERIOD tags - as you correct suggest - last year when I first began ripping; albeit exclusively for CLASSICALs. However, because I used STYLE tags for every other type of music/CD and, of course, PERIOD is not really applicable to: country/Xmas/popular/etc, I decided to do away with it in favour of STYLE (right across the board).

In addition to this, I did not want to have 2/3 of my CD collection having GENRE/STYLE tags, and the remaining 1/3 having GENRE/PERIOD. Also, I had/have no idea if all playback-devices support PERIOD?, as they DO the STYLE tag.

Cheers.
    Does your Sony display Style / Period?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I have charged it up now. I am finishing of the final batch of corrections; then I will test out the SD-card inside it ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

I am waiting from Sony Tech. Support to get back to me later this week concerning the maximum GB size of SD-card I am able to use with the Walkman. Hence, I won't be able to fully answer your question until then. But right off the bat, I can see that it supports: Genre, Artist, Album. Maybe other categories appear if and when you have organised/utilized your files/folders on the SD-card to incorporate such additional tags?

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I am waiting from Sony Tech. Support to get back to me later this week concerning the maximum GB size of SD-card I am able to use with the Walkman.
    Paul
    Can't you just plug in your SD card from your amazon fire and see if the Sony unit will read it?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Can't you just plug in your SD card from your amazon fire and see if the Sony unit will read it?
    I tried that already but it just says: "please insert a readable storage device."

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have ripped my Beethoven 1-9 symphonies CD (Karajan / Deutsch Gramaphone).

I use the STYLE tag in place of PERIOD (ie. whatever data would have gone in PERIOD goes in STYLE instead).

Regarding this tag I am not sure what to enter, please? In GENRE I have obviously written CLASSICAL. By default, 'dBpa' states PERIOD (ie. my STYLE) as CLASSICAL. I don't really want to have CLASSICAL as both the GENRE and STYLE tags. And so, for Beethoven's 1-9, could I use ROMANTIC? I mean, are all of his 9 symphonies classed as 'romantic' works? I would rather have one STYLE which would fit all 9 works if possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-19-2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have ripped my Beethoven 1-9 symphonies CD (Karajan / Deutsch Gramaphone).

I use the STYLE tag in place of PERIOD (ie. whatever data would have gone in PERIOD goes in STYLE instead).

Regarding this tag I am not sure what to enter, please? In GENRE I have obviously written CLASSICAL. By default, 'dBpa' states PERIOD (ie. my STYLE) as CLASSICAL. I don't really want to have CLASSICAL as both the GENRE and STYLE tags. And so, for Beethoven's 1-9, could I use ROMANTIC? I mean, are all of his 9 symphonies classed as 'romantic' works? I would rather have one STYLE which would fit all 9 works if possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Interesting one, because he overlaps the Classical and Romantic periods. Possibly Eroica onwards is Romantic.

How about Symphonic, if you want one Style?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

Interesting one, because he overlaps the Classical and Romantic periods. Possibly Eroica onwards is Romantic.

How about Symphonic, if you want one Style?
    Thanks Oggy,

I appreciate your thoughts.

Funnily enough SYMPHONIC was the default tag in most of my Haydn CDs. But to me, the term SYMPHONIC would relate to the size of the ensemble (eg. it would imply a large scale work for orchestra) rather than the 'stylistic' properties of the composition. Personally, I don't feel it is quite definitive enough.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

To end this tying myself up in knots malarkey, I am thinking the easiest solution is to name Beethoven, Haydn, and Mozart as being:

GENRE = Classical

Style = First Viennese

I really can't see there being any other solution to placing them all under the same umbrella, and avoiding using 'classical' for both GENRE and STYLE?

It would be great if any classical buffs might be able to confirm, please?

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-21-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Do you think it is also correct/incorrect to categorize Schubert as 'First Viennese' rather than 'Romantic', please?

Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-25-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling