title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping stopped working on Windows 7

Unhappy Ripping stopped working on Windows 7

Dear All,

I have a registered copy of dBpoweramp R14 that stopped ripping recently. Thinking it was a problematic CD, I tried a couple of others, none of which work. I also tried uinstalling and installing R16 to see if that was the problem to no avail. Symptoms are as follows:

System says that it is starting to rip (to FLAC) and hangs immediately OR
    System rips most of first track and hangs (not always the case, and rare)

I wanted to see if anything had changed in my Windows version that might have caused a problem so I traced the system calls with Windows Process Monitor. I saw the following pattern repeated over and over:

Code:
    6:06:46.8337230 PM    CDGrab.exe    688    RegQueryKey    HKCU    SUCCESS    Query: HandleTags, HandleTags: 0x0
    6:06:46.8337366 PM    CDGrab.exe    688    RegQueryKey    HKCU    SUCCESS    Query: Name
    6:06:46.8337514 PM    CDGrab.exe    688    RegCreateKey    HKCU\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp    SUCCESS    Desired Access: Query Value, Disposition: REG_OPENED_EXISTING_KEY
    6:06:46.8337903 PM    CDGrab.exe    688    RegSetInfoKey    HKCU\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp    SUCCESS    KeySetInformationClass: KeySetHandleTagsInformation, Length: 0
    6:06:46.8338029 PM    CDGrab.exe    688    RegQueryValue    HKCU\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\PreventAutoRun    NAME NOT FOUND    Length: 144
    6:06:46.8338242 PM    CDGrab.exe    688    RegCloseKey    HKCU\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp    SUCCESS
    dbPowerAmp will not close and when I try to kill the CDGrab process it won't actually kill it, I need to reboot the machine. The CD drive is fine; I can use iTunes to rip to MP3.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks - Marie

Administrator

Re: Ripping stopped working on Windows 7

Try R16.5 which is in the testing section of this forum.

Thank you Spoon, I reinstalled my registered version and installed 16.5 beta over it. The same behavior is seen with the failed queries for the HKCU\SW\Illustrate\PreventAutoRun registry key. As expected, the key is not in the registry:
    Registry.PNG

Is this a simple problem of needing to add this back in? I'm not sure why it would not have been recreated with one of the two installs unless the installer is checking for the presence of keys related to the software left over during an uninstall.

All my best,
    Marie

It looks like the registry entries might have been a red herring. I uninstalled dbPowerAmp, removed everything left over in HKCU\SW\Illustrate and reinstalled. The polling for the missing registry key starts even before I start ripping, and thus is unlikely to be the culprit.

In any case, R14.4 exhibited the same problem where the ripping does not progress. The elapsed time progresses, but the Ripping progress bar stays at 0% on the first track. I rebooted and installed R16.5 beta over it and observed the same results.

Thanks - Marie

Administrator

It is not this registry entry.

Try setting the encoder to 'Test Conversion', does it work?

The problem is resolved. The culprit appears to have been the Marvel 9128 SATA controller or BIOS controlling it. I moved the SATA cable over to an Intel SATA port and everything works now. I added a new drive bay a couple months ago and must have moved the connector when I was attaching cables, and haven't ripped since then. In any case, thank you as always for excellent support. CDGrab must be doing something different than other programs though as other players could read and rip... In any case, the new beta release looks nice, I'll upgrade when it's released.

All my best - Marie