title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to change "Dynamic Naming" settings for multi-disc albums, compilations, etc

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How to change "Dynamic Naming" settings for multi-disc albums, compilations, etc

I'm loving this CD Ripper program and all the options it gives me but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use the code for creating filenames. I have some standard preferences based on how I named and organized files in iTunes for many years (some of which I had to do manually for each file and some of which iTunes did automatically by default).

First thing was I wanted to remove the artist from the filename in "Album Artist\Album Title\05 Artist - Title" because it seems redundant if the artist is named in the master folder UNLESS it's a compilation and in that case I do want the artist following track number and preceding song title in the filename. So I was able to remove that from the default naming code so the file would just be named "05 Beautiful As The Moon (Reprise)" instead of "05 Henry Cow - Beautiful As The Moon (Reprise)". I don't mind changing the naming setting each time I rip a compilation but I am thinking there is a code that can insert the artist name in the filename when the compilation box is checked before I rip the disc. Am I right?

The thing that is bugging me now is I do not want a separate folder for each disc in a multi-disc album, with the folder named "Album Title Disc 1, 2, etc". What I want is one folder named "Album Title" containing all songs with the filenames beginning with "disc number track number" and then song title (or artist and then song title if it's a compilation). So instead of the first track on disc two of the album CONCERTS by Henry Cow being named "01 Oslo" and put in a folder named "Concerts Disc 2" what I want is all the tracks from both discs going in the same folder named "Concerts" with the above mentioned track being named "02-01 Oslo" so that all tracks from both discs appear in the correct order in the same folder. Is this possible to put in the naming settings, so that the disc number only gets added to the filename at the front of the track if the album has two or more discs?? And to have the disc number in the filename "padded" (I think that is the term, meaning instead of a single digit disc number have it always be two digits: 01,02...09,10,11,etc.

The other thing pertains to compilations. With various artists comps I would select what appears to be the default naming setting "Album Artist\Album Title\05 Artist - Title" since the artist varies from track to track. The exception to this would be an album by a classical artist (Kronos Quartet for example) which includes works by several different composers. For this I would choose to have the composer's name inserted between the track number and the track title as in "Album Artist\Album Title\05 Composer - Title" (not including the composer name in the song title itself for ID tagging but including it in the filename).

Additionally I will want to find a way of organizing folders of classical music by composer, such as "Composer\Album Artist\Album Title" or something like that. Some of this work I am willing to do manually once the CD has been properly tagged and ripped. But the big thing right now for me is to figure out how to get the disc number inserted at the beginning of the filename before the track number on multi-disc albums. Please advise me as to how to proceed.
    Last edited by ferrarabrainpan; 07-19-2018 at 01:58 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: How to change "Dynamic Naming" settings for multi-disc albums, compilations, etc

Not sure if this solution covers all your requirements, but it might help you to understand how to get what you want.

Based on the default Naming string, this checks on Genre = Classical:
    [IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][IF][genre],=,Classical,[composer],[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][][]\[album]\[disc]-[track] [IFCOMP][IF][genre],=,Classical,[composer],[artist][] - [][title]

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: How to change "Dynamic Naming" settings for multi-disc albums, compilations, etc

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Not sure if this solution covers all your requirements, but it might help you to understand how to get what you want.

Based on the default Naming string, this checks on Genre = Classical:
    [IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][IF][genre],=,Classical,[composer],[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][][][]\[album]\[disc]-[track] [IFCOMP][IF][genre],=,Classical,[composer],[artist][] - [][title]
    Thank you for that. I figured out how to get the disc number inserted at the head of the filename before the track number. I don't mind having to manually select a different stored naming scheme for multi-disc albums, compilations, etc, instead of a universal naming scheme with conditional coding elements to configure the file name depending on the various classifications of the album. This will be a learn as I go process and it is helpful to have this forum.