title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripper stops before end of track

Ripper stops before end of track

In ripping a classical CD to FLAC, I subsequently discovered that a couple of tracks were not ripped to the end yet the ripping was declared accurate. When I use the Ripper to play the track from the CD, it plays to the end. This CD is Deutsche Grammaphon one but is of a live recording. Any thoughts welcome.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripper stops before end of track

Are you using any DSP's, particularly the DSPs to trim silence, with the FLAC codec? The default "silence" setting in the trimmer is quite high, meant to trim noise from records at the beginning and end of tracks. There are configuration settings in the trimmer DSP to set what level you want it to use as silence. You can set it to digital "zero", more appropriate for ripping tracks originally mastered onto CDs, or you can remove the DSP completely if you had added it in.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Are you using any DSP's, particularly the DSPs to trim silence, with the FLAC codec? The default "silence" setting in the trimmer is quite high, meant to trim noise from records at the beginning and end of tracks. There are configuration settings in the trimmer DSP to set what level you want it to use as silence. You can set it to digital "zero", more appropriate for ripping tracks originally mastered onto CDs, or you can remove the DSP completely if you had added it in.
    I was not using any DSPs. I have since tried Trim Silence with the threshhold set at 0dB, -54dB and with Digital Silence selected. I still get guillotining of the end of the track in each case. Really not sure what to make of this one.

Administrator

If ripping is declared accurate then all the data has been correctly read from the CD.

As a test rip to wave.

dBpoweramp Guru

What happens if you play back to back tracks. Ive seen some gapless CDs (like classical) do odd track cuts where the end of a song actually shows up as the beginning of the next track. With a player that handles gapless, one wouldnt notice this if playing the entire album, but would if playing only one track.

If if this is the issue, it is the fault of the cd manufacturer and person that made track cut decisions. Its not a problem with the ripper.

WAV does the same as FLAC. I have tried it with FLV and it guillotines there as well so the disc must be faulty as you suggest.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

You might want to use "rip as one" and then use an audio editor such as Audacity to break up the resulting rip into tracks with the breaks where you want them. You also can use "rip as one" to rip each of the pieces, but it becomes tricky because it is trial and error to find the place you want the break. This issue of poorly placed tracks is altogether too common. CD producers often assume users will always be playing the entire CD, not individual tracks. Then poorly placed track divisions don't matter.

dBpoweramp Guru

To add to schmidj's suggestion, you can also use the audio editor to move the bits that from the beginning of one track to the end of the track before, where it belongs. It can take a while when most or all of the tracks are affected, but you'll have your tracks already tagged correctly in the initial rip. The other downside is that the affected tracks will no longer pass muster with AccurateRip, but if they did before the edits then at least you'll know the rips were error free.

(Now I wonder: Does 'rip as one' work with AccurateRip at all? Would there be something for AR to check against if someone else did it first? I'm guessing the answer is "No." I would be happy to be wrong.)