title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Retaining MQA data when ripping

Retaining MQA data when ripping

I am trying to rip dome of the new MQA/UHQ CDs to FLAC files with dBpoweramp. However my MQA decoder only recognises the ripped files as 16-bit 44.1 kHz files. If I rip the same CD using the Meridian Sooloos software then they are recognised as MQA. Any idea what I might be doing wrong or if the dBpoweramp ripper is somehow stripping out the MQA data? I have disabled all DSP Effects in dBpoweramp.

Administrator

Re: Retaining MQA data when ripping

It is possible the sooloos software is adding an extra field? Nothing can be stripped out when ripping CDs, its digital data so the representation is 100% as on the disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is possible the sooloos software is adding an extra field? Nothing can be stripped out when ripping CDs, its digital data so the representation is 100% as on the disc.
    My understanding is that the MQA data is wholly embedded within the main music data; so, theoretically, a perfect rip of the CD should retain all the MQA data!?

Administrator

Correct

Would it be useful if I sent you two FLAC files, one ripped via dBpoweramp that doesn&*8217;t identify as MQA and the other file being the same track ripped from the same CD using Sooloos that does correctly identify as MQA?

I offer this on the basis that the files will be deleted after you have investigated the differences, in order not to breach copyright.

Administrator

You can upload to dropbox and send me the link (Private message me on this forum plz).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can upload to dropbox and send me the link (Private message me on this forum plz).
    Test files sent...

Is there any reply from admin??
    I encounter similar problem when ripping cds in this new format by dbpoweramp. The flac files i got can only be recognized as typical 16/44.1 music files by my Sony Wm1Z DAP instead of MQA encoded files.