title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Missing individual Artists within a Compilation album

Question Missing individual Artists within a Compilation album

Hi, I'm Ed and new to dbpoweramp. Re-ripping most of my music (6 booze boxes worth). Still using iTunes for library. Previously when using iTunes for ripping, when a Compilation is checked off, the individual artist is saved and shown along with the song, when song info is requested.
    How can I do this in dbpoweramp? When ripping, I get Song Title, Length, Rip Status, Crc, Rating, Genre, Estimates. Compilation is checked off, Artist defaults to Various Artists or Mixed.
    After ripping and importing to iTunes, everything is fine, except the individual artists do not show and are not save if song info is requested. Artist shows as Various Artists. Album show up under Various Artists, in compilation folder.
    Thank you.

Administrator

Re: Missing individual Artists within a Compilation album

>Compilation is checked off, Artist defaults to Various Artists or Mixed.

In CD ripper the artist and album artist are set to what?

Spoon, thanks for the reply.
    Hope this is what you are asking. When cd is inserted (eg. Lilith Fair album), both Artist & Album Artist = Various Artists.
    So for example song *14 Spit Of Love by Bonnie Raitt shows as:
    1) dbpoweramp >Title= 14. Spit Of Love, Genre=Rock, Artist=Various Artists, Composer= Bonnie Raitt
    2) iTunes rip >Name= 14. Spit Of Love, Artist=Bonnie Raitt, Genre=Alternative, Composer= B Raitt

Is there somewhere that someone can set a default to artist instead of Various Artists when Compilation is checked off?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tubegem View Post
    Spoon, thanks for the reply.
    Hope this is what you are asking. When cd is inserted (eg. Lilith Fair album), both Artist & Album Artist = Various Artists.
    So for example song *14 Spit Of Love by Bonnie Raitt shows as:
    1) dbpoweramp >Title= 14. Spit Of Love, Genre=Rock, Artist=Various Artists, Composer= Bonnie Raitt
    2) iTunes rip >Name= 14. Spit Of Love, Artist=Bonnie Raitt, Genre=Alternative, Composer= B Raitt

Is there somewhere that someone can set a default to artist instead of Various Artists when Compilation is checked off?
    You could use Lilith Fair as the Album Artist, and the individual artists , i.e. Bonnie Raitt as the Artist. You will need to set iTunes not to split the album into individual artists.

If you look at the different providers, one may already have the individual artists entered.

I don't know the album, but it looks excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    You could use Lilith Fair as the Album Artist, and the individual artists , i.e. Bonnie Raitt as the Artist. You will need to set iTunes not to split the album into individual artists.

If you look at the different providers, one may already have the individual artists entered.

I don't know the album, but it looks excellent!
    Hi Oggy. The only way I can make this work is by changing the Album Artist to be same as Album and go to Edit and manually type in all of the individual names of the artists per every individual song, before pressing the Rip button. I have over 100 cd with multiple artists such as concerts, movie soundtracks etc. Manual typing each artist is not an option. The Composer and all of the other information is carried over correctly. Only the Artist is missing. iTunes does this correctly, so what am I missing in set up??
    How does everyone manage their compilation cds?

Not sure what you mean by (If you look at the different providers, one may already have the individual artists entered.)

The album is very nice and is part of a series started by Sarah McLachlan to celebrate female musicians. Thanks for your time.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi tubegem,

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the CD Ripper metadata I used to rip this compilation, and the CD Ripper Metadata review panel, from which you can edit your entries.

CD Ripper.jpg

Metadata Review.jpg

From the second image, I have manipulated what the metadata providers bought up, to treat the compilation as I wanted, and used Cockney Rebel as the Album Artist.

If you want to personalise your library, there will always be an element of editing, but it is far quicker to use as much existing metadata as possible.

Very occasionally, manual entry will be required.

I'll post a couple of screenshots later, hope this helps.

Oggy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-15-2018 at 04:08 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi tubegem,

Sorry about the extra attached Beatles image above!

You ask how people treat compilations, and they will treat them in several different ways - it is a personal music library.

This is how I treat them, which may, or may not be unique, but it works for me with the player I use. Not all players / apps treat tags the same, and you will need to set up iTunes to do what you want it to do. I believe iTunes handles Album Artist, but you will need to iTunes to treat as a complete album.

A compilation album, such as 100 Hits Of The '70's, I would have the compilation flag checked, so this would go into Various Artists, or in my case Compilations, as I replaced Various Artists with Compilations purely for preference. In this instance I used Genre 70s, simply as a quick method of finding a 70s amongst 100s of other comps.

The Who - Quadrophenia, is either an album by The Who, a compilation or a soundtrack.

As it has a number of non-Who tracks, I didn't want it as a Who album, but also didn't want it in Compilations, so used Album Artist - OST, Genre Soundtrack. Simon & Garfunkel, The Graduate, which has some David Grusin tracks, is also Album Artist OST.

This is how Quadrophenia shows up on my player control point:

IMG_20180715_092120.jpg

Another compilation album is Neil Young, Decade. I have this as a non-compilation, Album Artist, Neil Young, using Artist for the individual tracks. Again this is personal preference, as some would simply use Neil Young and not use Album Artist. If the player handles the Album Artist tag, I believe using Artist and Album Artist is the best of both worlds, as the album displays under Neil Young. This screenshot shows the track artists:

IMG_20180715_092158.jpg

This is what I suggested for your compilation, using Lilith Fair for the Album Artist, and the individual Artist as per track. Hopefully one of the Metadata providers, see previous post, has the track artist, rather than Various Artists.

There are several "right" ways to tag CDs, personal choice and how much work people want to put in. A personal library is exactly that, and the most important point, is that we can easily locate the music we want.

For some, editing tags is a hobby, but once you have ripped a CD, you can always edit the tags at your leisure!
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-15-2018 at 05:32 AM.