title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Should I Convert MP4 Files to FLAC for digital music storage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Parker
    • Jul 2018

Should I Convert MP4 Files to FLAC for digital music storage

Hello,

I'm new to this, so many apologies in advance for any technological incoherence.

I have a 4 bay, QNAP NAS device with which I now plan to digitise my CD music collection ready for streaming over Wi-Fi to enabled devices. I also intend that the digital collection will incorporate sound files saved from sources such as the BBC radio iPlayer, et cetera, as I particularly value recordings which recordings of live performances for their particular ambience.

I intend to use the DB power amp program suite for DVD ripping to make a digital copy of my purchased CDs for personal use, producing FLAC files for use on my personal digital player when out and about. However, I am uncertain about what to do about performances which have been saved from sources such as the BBC iPlayer. These are typically downloaded as MP4 files of a relatively small size, but would I gain anything aurally by converting them to FLAC files which results in an increased file size? I currently use Applian’s Replay Media Catcher 7 software to save such files for personal use but is there anything better that you can recommend?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance which you can provide.

Regards

Martin Parker
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Should I Convert MP4 Files to FLAC for digital music storage

Originally posted by Martin Parker
    I am uncertain about what to do about performances which have been saved from sources such as the BBC iPlayer. These are typically downloaded as MP4 files of a relatively small size, but would I gain anything aurally by converting them to FLAC files which results in an increased file size?
    No, you would not gain in an increase in audio quality.

Comment

Working...

]]>