title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problems ripping HDCD on mac: Exporter at 0%

Question Problems ripping HDCD on mac: Exporter at 0%

Hi -

I am trying to rip an HDCD on my mac (grateful dead 30 years around the sun). I have tried a few combinations, including ALAC + HDCD DSP, with and without the 6db thing checked, and the same permutations but with flac.

It rips the first track, then gets stuck at 0% encoding and will not proceed, and no other tracks even try to rip.

dBpoweramp_CD_Ripper_and_Roon.jpg

When it is in this state the cpu for dbpoweramp Music Converter hovers at around 100% cpu (I am on a four-core i7 w/16 gb ram, so only using one CPU). I have also tried reading/writing several different volumes.

I have ripped to both ALAC and FLAC with no DSP and it works. Thinking that maybe this wasn't really HDCD I went back to one that I did several months ago, Dave's Pics 25, which ripped and encoded properly at the time. That won't rip the HDCD now either (again gets stuck on the encoding part).

I saw some similar threads but they were all windows based. I did try the test conversion and that succeeded without the HDCD DSP

I have version 16.3 running on High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77).

Any tips would be appreciated. I tried deleting the program and reinstalling, but definitely missed something because it remembered my preferences.
    Last edited by left4deadinclt; 06-24-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: Problems ripping HDCD on mac: Exporter at 0%

Thanks for your bug report.

I just tested my own HDCD sample and it appears to work fine, so this issue might be somehow specific to your configuration.

I would very much like you to send me a snapshot of your dBpoweramp configuration - to do so, click [configure] in dBpoweramp launcher, Converter tab, click [save configuration snapshot]. Email the resulting file to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

Now, in order to reset all dBpoweramp configuration, you can remove the ~/Library/dBpoweramp folder ( Finder: cmd+shift+G, ~/Library, remove the dBpoweramp folder ).
    You can also rename it to dBpweramp.off to get a fresh profile to verify if the bug is gone, then restore it by removing the newly created folder and restoring the old folder.

Super Moderator

Does it also get stuck when told to rip individual tracks rather than the whole CD starting from track 1?

It would be also helpful if you could email me ( peter@dbpoweramp.com ) a lossless rip - without HDCD processing - of a short track that gets stuck ripping.

Thumbs up Re: Problems ripping HDCD on mac: Exporter at 0%

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for your bug report.

I just tested my own HDCD sample and it appears to work fine, so this issue might be somehow specific to your configuration.

I would very much like you to send me a snapshot of your dBpoweramp configuration - to do so, click [configure] in dBpoweramp launcher, Converter tab, click [save configuration snapshot]. Email the resulting file to peter@dbpoweramp.com for analysis.

Now, in order to reset all dBpoweramp configuration, you can remove the ~/Library/dBpoweramp folder ( Finder: cmd+shift+G, ~/Library, remove the dBpoweramp folder ).
    You can also rename it to dBpweramp.off to get a fresh profile to verify if the bug is gone, then restore it by removing the newly created folder and restoring the old folder.
    Moving the ~/Library/dbPoweramp out of the way fixed it. Looking through what you were asking for I found the problem: When I converted my scratch disk from a spinny-disk stripe to an SSD stripe I renamed it, but it was still set as the temporary disk (/volumes/LBD) which didn't exist, and /Volumes only has root write:

$ >ls -ld /Volumes
    drwxr-xr-x@ 11 root wheel 374 Jun 25 07:26 /Volumes/

So, it was definitely a config error on my part, but there was probably an error thrown somewhere that you can bubble up. Thanks for helping me fix it!

-jamie

Super Moderator

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure that dBpoweramp handles such scenarios (out of temp space, misconfigured temp location) gracefully from the next release.