title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ReplayGain - Track & Album - So far, track-only

Question ReplayGain - Track & Album - So far, track-only

Hello Spoon,

I am "Converting" a 45K-track FLAC library to update to the current recommended DSP ReplayGain standard and to ensure everything has both track and album ReplayGain tags.
    I have now set both Track & Album.
    The album tag is set as the basis for the album gain tag.
    The output FLAC files have only the track gain setting.
    There are no album gain tags.
    The same result occurred with "same folder" as the rule (both folder and tag are true).
    Processing is projected to require a day and a half, so I'd like to get this correct on the first pass.

Does Music Converter have to reprocess all files to apply the album gain, or is something wrong with my settings?

If a second pass will happen after all track gains are tagged, would it be practical and efficient to write the album gain tags when the folder is complete, if folder is set as the criterion?

Please offer any suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain - Track & Album - So far, track-only

Album gain is written at the end, it might take some time for them to get written.

Question Re: ReplayGain - Future - Album gain tag as soon as folder complete?

Thanks,

The second question was, if folder is set as the basis for what constitutes an album, would it be possible in a future release of Batch Converter / Music Converter to read tracks within a folder and write both the track and album gain tags when that folder is complete? It seems that revised process would require writing tags to each track only once and thereby speed up the entire process.

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain - Future - Album gain tag as soon as folder complete?

The design cannot accommodate this.

Question Re: ReplayGain - Album gain when folder complete - Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The design cannot accommodate this.
    Thanks Spoon,

I get that the current design does not accommodate a more efficient process.

Are you the code developer? If you are not the developer, will you please ask those who are to consider altering the design for future improvement?

Is the current design fixed and unalterable?

Thank you for your consideration.

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain - Album gain when folder complete - Future?

I am the developer. If we just had a replaygain calculation program it would be able add as you want, however the implementation is an extension of dBpoweramp and the virtual encoder '[ReplayGain]' does not know of the full list of files, they are passed one at a time.

Smile Re: ReplayGain - Album gain when folder complete - Possible method?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I am the developer. If we just had a replaygain calculation program it would be able add as you want, however the implementation is an extension of dBpoweramp and the virtual encoder '[ReplayGain]' does not know of the full list of files, they are passed one at a time.
    Hi again Spoon,
    I do not fully understand the restrictions you note, yet I offer a suggestion on an approach that might work, even with those restrictions. Feel free to laugh.
    When presented with a track + album replay gain request that uses the folder to define “album,” do the following:
    1. Read the tracks in folder order, one folder at a time.
    2. Run the ReplayGain process to determine each track gain for the tracks in that folder.
    3. Do NOT write the track gain to the file at this time. Write the gain against a temporary list of the track file names in that folder.
    4. After reading the last track in each folder, use the list of gains to determine the greatest gain reduction in the list and save that as the album replay gain.
    5. (It is my assumption that the album ReplayGain is the greatest gain reduction, or may be mathematically deduced from it, from the list of track gains. If I have assumed incorrectly, my suggestion will not work, and you can stop reading here.)
    6. If the assumption is correct, now open each track in the folder and write both the track gain and the album gain.
    7. Proceed to the next folder in the folder order.
    The library I am running dBpoweramp version 16.4 against has approximately 6 hours of the 30 hours projected to complete processing. I am confused about the process by which the album gains will be generated once the track gains are all written. I hope it does not restart the track-reading and analysis process before writing that album gain. That restart would appear to require more than the remaining 6 hours.
    Thanks for helping this neophyte understand and use your excellent product.

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain - Album gain when folder complete - Possible method?

dBpoweramp which does the conversions does not work like this, as I said, if we wrote a program to do ONLY replay gain calculations (ie not linked with dBpoweramp) we could easily do as you write, however the replaygain codec has to work with dBpoweramp.