title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLAC Folder Properties Discrepency

dBpoweramp Guru

Question FLAC Folder Properties Discrepency

Hi folks,

I noticed something strange happening this week with the folder containing all of my FLAC files on on newly purchased laptop.

When I right-click on the parent-folder to display the size of the properties, it states there is only 12.5GB in total (this is clearly incorrect!). But upon entering the parent-folder and (Ctl+A) selecting all 7 x sub-folders (ie. the GENRE folders), it then correctly states the size of the properties (ie. 143GB).

Please see screenshots:

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 06-15-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: link

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: FLAC Folder Properties Discrepency

I tried checking the music files folder on my NAS (450 GB worth) and got exactly the same numbers using both methods. It's almost as if the properties call on your FLAC folder just up and quit partway through. How odd.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I tried checking the music files folder on my NAS (450 GB worth) and got exactly the same numbers using both methods. It's almost as if the properties call on your FLAC folder just up and quit partway through. How odd.
    HI JH,

Thanks for checking.

Yes, it's a strange one isn't it!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I just checked my external-HDs (containing the very same FLACS [as back-up]) on my work PC, and the 'properties' show that all parent-folders contain 147GB (rather than 143GB, or the initially stated 12.5GB). I believe this 147GB reading to be accurate.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Do the number of files/folders in your backups and your laptop agree? You could have missed something when copying your files over.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Do the number of files/folders in your backups and your laptop agree? You could have missed something when copying your files over.
    Hi JH,

OK, thanks; I will run a binary-comparison using Beyond Compare this evening.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi JH,

Here are the results of the Binary-Comparison. It took about 3 hours to complete.

The scan was between my C-drive and the SD-card.

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 06-19-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: link

dBpoweramp Guru

Looks like hiccups on Windows' part in the OP; it doesn't seem to have delivered the correct information by either method.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks JH,

Do you think there is a serious fault with the PC? I mean, would you have it replaced (or refunded)? Apart from this it seems to be running fine.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I think it's a Windows bug. I could just reproduce the effect. I've got the same count of files and files sizes for the two shortcuts like "Pictures" (This PC/Computer and Favorites), but a different count and file size if I looked at "Pictures" in the user profile the first time. Once I've changed into the directory "Pictures" and back, I get the same count and file size as for the short cuts.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Your files copied over perfectly, so I doubt there is any problem with the PC.

You might want to try the Properties searches again when you have some spare time; it may be that they will now run perfectly. It seems that sometimes large searches just don't work right the first time.

I'm reminded of Windows XP showing something like "greater than n MB" when the threshold n was exceeded during the search. (I think n was 247 or a similarly weird number.) Even less helpful than the reports you got, but at least it was intentional.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 06-20-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Because I can

dBpoweramp Guru

I may be missing what you are doing. But in my own case if I navigate using file explorer to the exact top folder with my music files (including the audio, ripping logs, artwork, subfolders ), then right click and select properties, it shows me the exact number of files, folders, and total size in kB. If I do the same for correspondinzg top folder in my usb backup drives, I get exact same info.

I am not using any search function or folder shortcuts when I do this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi guys,

Thanks very much indeed for your responses.

I emailed Hewlett Packard last night and a representative is calling me back in the morning (as I have a query regarding the mains-adaptor also). They said an agent will take remote-access of the PC.

I will have a look at your replies also.

Much appreciated,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 06-20-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I think it's a Windows bug. I could just reproduce the effect. I've got the same count of files and files sizes for the two shortcuts like "Pictures" (This PC/Computer and Favorites), but a different count and file size if I looked at "Pictures" in the user profile the first time. Once I've changed into the directory "Pictures" and back, I get the same count and file size as for the short cuts.
    In the meanwhile I could reproduce this effect on three different PCs. I think, I now untderstand, what is going on. I've right-clicked the directory to chose properties then, to see the size of the directory. It seem's that the file explorer of W10, 1803 tends to lose the selection if you right-click a directory, so that the following click on properties does not show the size of the assumed selected directory, but of the current directory. You have to check the location to understand which size you see! This loss does not happen on every right-click, but with a high likelihood, if you've changed the drive before, or if you've just went into this directory.

Maybe, that's not your problem, Paul, but it is definitely a problem.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks a lot Dat Ei,

Hewlett Packard took remote-access today and the agent could not understand why this was happening, and had not seen it ever before. But he was not able to solve it. And so he is calling me back tomorrow so that he can investigate the matter further.

I will test out your helpful theory also tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 06-21-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling