title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Converting AVI to MP4 Not Working

Converting AVI to MP4 Not Working

Hi,

I've just installed a trial version of your Video Converter and it's not working for me. I have tried twice and it failed both times. I'm attempting to convert an AVI (original miniDV recording) to MP4 (H.264) but it fails. The Converter gives me the following error log:

Error converting to MP4 (H264), 'D:\Video\My Videos\winDV.05-07-02_02-45.00_type-2.avi' to 'F:\My Videos\zzpanasonic PV-GS15 camcorder\wedding vid_professional\dBPowerAmp 1.0\winDV.05-07-02_02-45.00_type-2.mp4'
    [dvvideo @ 0000000000466c80] Concealing bitstream errors
    Last message repeated 3040 times

And when i play back the video, i see a black screen, but i hear the audio just fine.

I know that the original AVI file is OK, but it won't convert. Any ideas?

Tks!

Administrator

Re: Converting AVI to MP4 Not Working

What about other AVI files? they convert?

No, other AVI files fail to convert as well.

Administrator

As a test convert to 'MOV', does that play correct? If not do any files convert correctly? if so try convert that file to 'AVI' then AVI >> mp4

Sorry, but it doesn't work no matter what i do. I've tried converting to MOV - same errors. Tried converting from AVI to AVI - same errors. It doesn't seem to like my video files for some reason. And i know the video files are not corrupt.

The videos are the raw format from a miniDV tape.
    Type=DV
    Res= 720x480
    Bitrate= 28Mbps
    AR= 4:3
    Frame Rate= 29.97

Administrator

AVI is a container format, much like WAVE (audio), this Panasonic compression format is not supported, sorry.

This is extremely disappointing, as I purchased this specifically to use avi-dv files. Considering the popularity of the format not all that long ago. I'm more than surprised. Do you foresee support in the future?

Administrator

You could try the mp4 (Copy, no encoding) to copy the stream without decoding.