title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: What’s the best External Sllim CD Writer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What’s the best External Sllim CD Writer?

Hi,

I’m a complete newbie, so any help to get me started would be much appreciated.

I have 2000+ CD’s to rip, and would like to do the following:

- Rip to FLAC
    - Use a Win8 (soon to be upgraded to Win10) machine
    - Save all files to a QNAP NAS
    - Use 6 x CD writers (2 already in the PC) and 4 x External

I need advice on the 4 x External CD writers, i.e. which is the best model/make to purchase in the marketplace right now?

Ideally I want the CD writers to be slimline, so that they just power/run off the USB, so no need for external power.

Speed and quality are obviously high on the list, and from my own research thinking about either Samsung or LG. Are there any others that I should consider, eg. Pioneer?

Any recommendations please or is there anything else I need to consider?

Many Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: What’s the best External Sllim CD Writer?

I personally have had bad luck finding slim (external) drives that work well at all. Even reading the specs, you'll see that the maximum read speed is 24X instead of the 48X on the typical internal drive. And my experience is that the ones I used did not deal with even slightly damaged CDs well at all. I finally bit the bullet and now use internal drives outside with SATA to USB converters. They work well. In this case function, to me, is better than form.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: What’s the best External Sllim CD Writer?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    I personally have had bad luck finding slim (external) drives that work well at all. Even reading the specs, you'll see that the maximum read speed is 24X instead of the 48X on the typical internal drive. And my experience is that the ones I used did not deal with even slightly damaged CDs well at all. I finally bit the bullet and now use internal drives outside with SATA to USB converters. They work well. In this case function, to me, is better than form.
    I have to agree with this. I do have a Samsung SE208 slimline drive, but it was more expensive than the internal Samsung SH224, and the SH224 used via USB to SATA converter was quicker and more importantly performed far better on a badly scratched disc. I haven't ever tried the Lite-On external drive, but unless the performance is noticeably better than the SE208, I couldn't in all honestly give a recommendation.